What system do you have now? When will you next upgrade?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Buck Rogers, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. Buck Rogers

    Buck Rogers Guest

    Hi guys!

    My system:

    Dell 2350
    2.2 Ghz Celeron
    384 Mb
    WinXP Home/FreeBSD 4.10
    40 Gb HD
    DVD/CD combo drive
    56 Kbps modem
    Integrated video/audio

    I've come to the realisation that my current system far exceeds my
    computing requirements. I use it to do the budget, watch DVDs,
    surfing the net, and occasionally use it for word processing.

    I don't use it for games(other than Warcraft 3 or chess), or any
    video/computational intensive work - although I've toyed with the idea
    of getting a video recorder and doing some editing. I think the computer
    should have no problems with this whatsoever.

    At this stage, based on my requirements, I don't see myself upgrading
    my 2350 /ever/ (bear in mind, I upgraded from a classic P100/win98 to the
    2350
    only because the old monitor died) - unless it's due to unrecoverable
    parts/systems
    failure - it has just gone out of warranty. 64 Bit processing/operating
    system will
    not improve my productivity or increase my usage - unless a killer
    application comes
    out which requires more processing power.

    So, just as a matter of curiosity, what system do you have, what exactly
    do you use
    it for, and when will you next upgrade?

    Cheers,

    Buck

    Buck Rogers, Aug 18, 2004

  2. Buck Rogers

    Buck Rogers Guest

    PS - having said all the above, I still check the prices daily and drool
    over the new systems. I think even if I know I /don't/ need a new computer,
    I am still going to end up with one soon! Resistance is futile! :D

    Buck Rogers, Aug 18, 2004

  3. Buck Rogers

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Frankly, based on the system and what you described, add more memory and you
    should be good to go. Other than a hard drive upgrade/addition, there's not
    much you need. The only thing I can see driving you to get a new system is
    the video....

    Hank Arnold, Aug 18, 2004
  4. Buck Rogers

    Brian Guest

    Not any time soon. I'll probably upgrade once Longhorn settles down
    on the desktop systems.

    Things that are noticably slow now:
    Reading PDFs
    Any type of multimedia (Premiere especially, Photoshop)
    SQLServer queries
    Games (SimCity especially, which will use all the CPU thrown at it)

    But as I already have a 2.4C processor, I doubt spending the money on
    a slightly faster core/FSB replacement CPU would make a lot of difference.
    Longhorn will probably negate any processor improvements for a year or
    two or three. Even then, I expect the extra Microsoft processor tax to
    go mostly to glitter and not performance.

    Anyway, there are a lot of common apps that push the envelope already.
    But short of going to multi-processors, I doubt any existing processor
    upgrade would help much for P4 2.0+ owners.

    Brian, Aug 18, 2004
  5. Buck Rogers

    jaye Guest

    I know of people who are still using old 486's with 32MB of ram running
    Windows 95. On the other hand, I also know of people who own expensive
    prescotts with a gig of ram and x generation video cards, that do
    nothing more than word process and email -- but that is another post.

    When I purchased my Dimension 8200, I was heavily into games. Now, my
    flashy video card is going to waste because I no longer have the time or
    desire to play those games anymore. For my current needs, I suspect this
    will last until the parts decay. My next upgrade will be when I can
    afford a budget laptop, or perhaps, when a revolutionary new game comes
    out that is actually worth my time and money to play.. Although, such a
    game may run on a budget laptop. ^.~

    jaye, Aug 19, 2004
  6. Buck Rogers

    Buck Rogers Guest

    I think even the newest systems, have the same problems to a lesser extent.

    I'll be skipping Longhorn altogether - I don't think I'll be able to
    do anything new in Longhorn that I can't already do in XP. Bear in mind,
    I went from Win98 to Win XP, skipping WinME, Win2000.

    Buck Rogers, Aug 21, 2004
  7. Buck Rogers

    BOHICA Guest

    I have a Dimension 8100 1.5GHz that I purchased about 3.5 years ago. I
    upgraded from an HP Pavilion 400MHz machine. At the time the 8100 was just
    about tops. When I purchased I made sure I had Win2k installed instead of
    ME. At times I wish for a faster processor but for what I do - Web, email,
    newsgroups, and burning the occasional DVD, PhotoShop - the 8100 does quite
    well. I feel it still has plenty of life left and Win2k has been rock
    solid. I have to try pretty hard to make it crash and then it rarely
    happens.

    So for me, I believe it will be at least 2 maybe 3 years before I even
    consider my next upgrade. As long as the 8100 keeps chugging along and
    doesn't have any major hardware (motherboard etc.) problems I'm a happy
    camper.

    BOHICA, Aug 21, 2004