    thermal paste. While shopping online for a suitable paste my mind nearly
    exploded looking through the hundreds of choices. Is there a best choice of
    type of paste and source? Dean

    Dean-MN, Jan 28, 2014

  2. Dean-MN

    Bob_Villa Guest

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

    Bob_Villa, Jan 28, 2014

  3. Dean-MN

    BillW50 Guest

    As Bob mentioned, Arctic Silver 5 is considered as top of the line for
    thermal paste. Although I would be very curious why you think you need
    to replace a heatsink?

    BillW50, Jan 28, 2014
  4. Dean-MN

    Bob_Villa Guest

    You're being too literal...take-off, then put-back is most likely what he means!

    Bob_Villa, Jan 28, 2014
  5. Dean-MN

    Dean-MN Guest

    Hi,
    Bill is correct. Maybe I should have written 'remove, clean then replace'.
    It's the standard procedure for cleaning the heat sink of an Inspiron 1545.
    I didn't heed mayor George Shinn's warning. 'You watch your phraseology!'
    Dean

    Dean-MN, Jan 28, 2014
  6. Dean-MN

    Bob_Villa Guest

    I said you were probably NOT literally, replacing your heat-sink...so how is he right?

    Bob_Villa, Jan 29, 2014
  7. Dean-MN

    Ben Myers Guest

    I've never gotten hung up on using the best thermal paste, but then I do not advocate overclocking where heat transfer becomes most critical. For the1545, I am sure a dab of most any thermal paste will do ya. You don't need to apply it smoothly. When you crank down the 5 screws to secure the heat sink, the thermal paste gets spread out very smoothly by the pressure.

    Or to put it differently, I am a pragmatist, not a purist... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 29, 2014
  8. Dean-MN

    GTS-NJ Guest

    Despite all the advertising hype for products like Artic Silver,
    laboratory testing has found very little difference. Any good brand is
    fine.
    I've used this one for years, for example, -
    http://www.startech.com/Computer-Parts/Fans/20g-Tube-CPU-Thermal-Paste-
    Grease-Compound-for-Heatsinks~HEATGREASE20

    GTS-NJ, Jan 31, 2014