    do to check and make sure everything is alright. Checking against the Packing
    List is a first step but then do you have other tests you run? For example,
    I've seen people say they got the wrong amount of RAM, wrong CPU, hard drive,
    etc. How do you check the innards to, first, make sure they're what you
    ordered and second, to make sure they're working properly?
    Thanks everyone, Steve.

    Steve, Aug 28, 2003

  2. | Hi,
    | I'll be getting my computer soon and I was just wondering what some of
    you
    | do to check and make sure everything is alright. Checking against the
    Packing
    | List is a first step but then do you have other tests you run? For
    example,
    | I've seen people say they got the wrong amount of RAM, wrong CPU, hard
    drive,
    | etc. How do you check the innards to, first, make sure they're what you
    | ordered and second, to make sure they're working properly?
    | Thanks everyone, Steve.

    One of the first things I do once any new system is up and running is
    download the Aida32 system information tool.
    http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32 It will identify all the
    components in your system which you can verify against your order.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    HillBillyBuddhist, Aug 28, 2003

  3. You can go the Tech Support section of the Gateway web site, enter
    your serial number and it will give you a parts list. Compare this to
    the original confirmation e-mail you got from Gateway, the invoice
    that came with the system, and to what components you actually
    received. Make sure everything matches. You can also compare the
    part numbers and pictures on the web site to what you have.

    I bought a 700XL system recently, and they sent me the wrong processor
    and memory. They straightened it out right away, but I had to notice
    the problem before I could correct it.

    Frank Fussenegger, Aug 28, 2003
  4. Steve

    John Smith Guest

    Hi:

    I've just downloaded this proggie... very nice of you to share it.

    Thanks, rgds

    John Smith, Aug 29, 2003
  5. Steve

    Tom Almy Guest

    Before you connect the power cord, open the case and make sure all
    cards, cables, and memory sticks are fully seated. They frequently come
    loose in shipping causing all sorts of failures.

    Tom Almy, Aug 30, 2003
  6. I make sure the drives can write and read back the various media. If a
    problem developes later, I know it worked when I first got the system.

    Carol and Allen Bredt, Aug 30, 2003
  7. Steve

    MB Guest

    Another great software proggy is Dr. Hardware, a freeware. As well as
    checking the system specs it also has a great set of benchmark tests.

    MB, Aug 31, 2003
  8. Steve

    Cubzilla Guest

    Is it wise to get him to open the box ?, if he is not sure how to identify
    system component from windows what chance is there of him understanding
    ESD precautions.

    Regards

    Cubzilla, Aug 31, 2003
  9. Steve

    Tom Almy Guest

    If a drive connector is flopping in the air, he'll have to open the box
    anyway. From my experience the risk of ESD damage is far less than that
    of damage from turning on the system with an unseated PCI card. (Never
    had the former, but have seen plenty of the latter.)

    Tom Almy, Aug 31, 2003
  10. Steve

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Always thought PCI cards were secured with a screw to the case. Guess they
    could be lossened somewhat but I would tend to not start pulling things and
    reseating and/or pushing on connectors and boards. People might do more
    damage than good. If there is an indication of a problem, then it is
    something to consider. But as always, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

    PC Gladiator, Sep 1, 2003
  11. Steve

    Paul Knudsen Guest

    Fred Larga did an excellent report lately on this very thing. You
    start by opening the case, making sure nothing is loose, etc, etc.
    Search his web site.

    Paul Knudsen, Sep 1, 2003