    like porn and pirated software lol) so does anyone know of a good way to
    wipe them clean before sending the computer back? I've got 2 hard drives in
    a RAID.

    Guest, Jun 14, 2006

  2. Christopher Muto, Jun 14, 2006

  3. Guest

    Rich Guest

    why not just take the hard drives out and keep them. then tell dell
    to ship the replacement without the hard drive(s)? otherwise, use
    your favorite image backup software to backup to an external drive(s),
    DVD, etc. then re-format both hard drives. when the new pc arrives,
    install your imaging software and restore the drives.

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Jun 14, 2006
  4. Guest

    ric Guest

    you're assuming that
    a) you get someone on the phone who understands what you're saying
    b) you get someone on the phone who will actually put into the call
    what you're telling them
    c) that someone on the phone in india will have any input into the
    department that handles returns and so will be able to confirm if they
    can ship machines without drives
    d) that dell will be bothered to unbox a replacement, remove the drive,
    and ship it to you

    in practice, it's never going to happen.
    just boot off the dban CD and you're good to go.

    ric

    ric, Jun 14, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The reason I was sending my system back is because the hard drives weren't
    big enough. I had ordered the Datasafe 250 gb drive. Nobody told me that
    because of the datasafe, it uses a partition in the drive which is approx
    30% of the space for the backup. Therefore, a 250gb drive is essentially a
    168 gb drive.

    I had asked for them to just send me new larger hard drives, but because
    they were RAID drives, dell explained to me that I couldn't simply pop in
    new drives, but that they would have to be installed and configured in the
    factory only. That's where the new system comes in to place.

    Guest, Jun 14, 2006
  6. Guest

    Jay B Guest

    use the program to wipe the drive clean, and then
    cant you just hit the ctrl-f11 at bootup and restore the system back to
    factory,
    that will eliminate all of your stuff.

    Jay B, Jun 14, 2006
  7. Reformatting a drive does not wipe the information (nor does "deleting"
    the files), in fact recovery from a drive that's only been formatted is
    quite trivial. At the very least you need to write over the whole
    formatted drive quite a few times (which can be tough if the drive uses
    S.M.A.R.T. technology to remap damaged sectors); the best solution in
    this thread was the first reply: dban.sf.net

    Nicholas Andrade, Jun 14, 2006
  8. Guest

    Rich Guest

    so? then backup the drives as i described, re-format the current
    drives and then restore the new drives from the image backups. this
    is not hard.

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich, Jun 15, 2006