    both go :(

    Any other options.

    Thanks.

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Mar 4, 2004

    Rob Stow Guest

    Your only other two-drive options are mirroring (RAID 1)
    and a new thingie not widely supported by RAID card/chip
    manufacturers called RAID 1.5

    Can't remember if it was Promise or HighPoint that had
    a press release about 1.5 a few months ago.

    Rob Stow, Mar 4, 2004

    Courseyauto Guest

    Thanks.

    Was thinking of raiding 2 120 drives in Raid 0 but if one drive gos
    both go :(

    Any other options.

    Thanks.

    If you get data corruption with raid 1 you lose both drives,if you get data
    corruption with a single drive you lose it .

    Courseyauto, Mar 4, 2004

    Leythos Guest

    Data corruption has nothing to do with RAID, any version.

    If you have Drive 0 have a physical problem that causes corruption of
    the data on the drive, the drive will mark the sector as bad and replace
    it with another sector. Drive 1 will still have good data since Drive 0
    can not write to Drive 1 - only the controller can write to the drives.

    As for loosing either drive, or loosing a single drive, you are better
    off with a dual drive set using RAID-1 (Mirroring).

    While you can lose hardware it is highly unlikely that you would loose
    two drives at the same time.

    RAID-0 is typically only used for Video/Audio or when the highest
    performance levels are needed for file access. Most home users will not
    benefit from RAID-0, and the added chance of loosing everything by
    having two drives in a striped set is not worth the risk.

    Leythos, Mar 4, 2004

    Leythos Guest

    dont' you hate when you get typing fast, without looking, and put to
    many characters in a word - like loose or lose....

    Leythos, Mar 4, 2004

    Tim Guest

    Yip, its even worse when your keyboard is tuffed and leaves stuff out or
    when you find that you have voice recognition software running in the
    background completely unaware and you say something like b***d* idiot just
    before hitting send :)

    - Tim

    Tim, Mar 4, 2004

    Tim Guest

    Hi,

    I'll clairfy what the others have said using a lot more words.

    RAID 0 - Striping - High performance, double the risk of losing all data if
    1 disc fails.
    RAID 1 - Mirror - normal performance, the risk of lost data from a drive
    failure is greatly reduced.
    There are several other types of RAID...

    If you want reliability, use RAID 1.
    If you want performance and don't care about reliability (EG video editing)
    use RAID 0.
    It is not a good idea to put Windows on a RAID 0 unless a) you can afford to
    spend several hours recovering your system after a disc crash, b) disc
    crashes don't worry you c) you have excellent backups.

    IDE discs on not all that reliable, and multiple disc failures in RAID
    systems do occur - I had one recently on a customer site. You *must* have a
    good backup system.

    You indicate above you have an A7V266-e. Well I don't have one nor the
    manual (A7V266 + others) . If the machine does not have RAID already then
    get a RAID PCI card. They are dirt cheap now. Review comments in this group
    about the different makes - I don't think you will find any negative
    comments about any of them. IE many people have trouble understanding /
    setting them up, but the cards themselves seem very reliable these days. If
    you want a SATA PCI RAID card, get one that as a minimum has a Silicon Image
    chip on - in US$ these should start around $25 now - the cheap ones may not
    be too well made, but with the SIL chip it should work 100%.

    If you are going to get a PCI card, get one that will allow you to move the
    RAID array without issue to different machines without data loss. Check the
    card suports the type of RAID you choose: some cheap ones only support RAID
    0.

    - TIm

    Tim, Mar 4, 2004

    DaveW Guest

    RAID 1: Mirror array. Same data on both harddrives.

    DaveW, Mar 5, 2004