    detremental to my cpu's health in the long run? I paid $380 for this P4 3.2
    and I don't want to lose it in three months due to heat issues.

    Thanks.

    Rieper, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Rieper

    h2so4 Guest

    Your readings seem identical to my own. The room temperature here in the UK
    is 17.1c and my CPU temperature is @ 46c. If I run FS2004 for an hour or so
    my CPU temp stabilises in the low to mid 60s. I've benn running this thing
    for three months or so (at default settings, i.e., no overclocking) and my
    system has been stable-ish. I don't think that my own occasional program
    crashes are temperature related as they have occurred at lowish CPU temps.

    Abit explains the high CPU temps as being to do with the algorithm used to
    translate the readings from hardware. I've taken the position of accepting
    Abit's account of these high temp readings but with a degree scepticism. I
    am not sufficiently knowledgeable about these things to distinguish fact
    from bullshit on Abit's site. However, I know just enough to know that
    there's a fairly high level of bullshit in Abit's marketing speak.

    I should add that my system is contained in a Lian Li case with two front
    fans sucking and a single fan plus Enermax PSU blowing. I have the Zalman
    7000cu heatsink/fan running at full speed and have checked and re-checked
    the contact between CPU and heatink and the application of Arctic Silver
    III. So I carry on with my temps as they are more in hope than expectation.

    I'm deciding whether to abandon the IC7-G in favour of an Intel board or
    whether to buy a very expensive Herman Miller Aaron chair. I've long lusted
    after one of these chairs so at present I'm inclined towards sticking with
    the Abit motherboard for a while longer.

    I don't think that you are likely to do any damage to your CPU at the temps
    you report.

    h2so4, Oct 6, 2003

  3. Rieper

    Skid Guest

    Go for the chair.

    Skid, Oct 6, 2003
  4. Rieper

    Skid Guest

    Perfectly normal for the stock hsf -- at least on an Abit board as reported
    by hardware doctor.

    Skid, Oct 6, 2003
  5. Rieper

    jardinero Guest

    Rieper,

    Those temps you posted seem a bit on the high side for your processor
    at idle, I can just imagine how high they go when you are playing a
    good game which will demand a lot from the CPU.

    You may want to check what the temperature of your case is inside; it
    may be suffering from insufficient input of fresh air.

    A quick test comes to mind, remove both sides of the case and leave
    them off for about 20, 30 minutes or longer while your computer is at
    idle and check the CPU temp in this mode. If the temperature has come
    down considerably, you need to force more fresh air inside your case.

    You may want to check that the heatsink is seating flat on top of the
    CPU and that there is sufficient and not too much "grease" between the
    2 mating surfaces.

    I have to tell you that I am running the same CPU as you. The ambient
    temperature of the room where the computer is located hovers around 35
    degrees centigrade.

    My CPU goes up to only 50C degrees while running Prime95, and hovers
    at about 40 degrees at idle.

    Also, I've made sure there is plenty of air coming inside the case and
    going out of it, I am running it with a Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu cooler.
    This cooler has made all the difference in the world in keeping the
    high temp down when running at 100% for hours.

    I'm sure others will give you more tips and other things to try.

    jardinero, Oct 6, 2003
  6. Rieper

    TomG Guest

    not bad...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 117,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Oct 6, 2003
  7. Rieper

    Skid Guest

    Keep in mind he's running an Abit IC7-G. They tend to report about 10C
    higher than most other boards. Subtract 10C from his temps, and they're the
    same as yours.

    I have an IC7, cooled with a Vantec Aeroflow in a case ventilated by two 120
    mm fans. My temps on a 2.4 overclocked to 3.3 are almost identical to the
    OP's 3.2 with a stock Intel hsf.

    His temps, and mine, only seem high in comparison to those reported on other
    boards. In fact, they are exactly what should be expected on that hardware.

    Skid, Oct 6, 2003
  8. Rieper

    h2so4 Guest

    I'm very tempted. Have you tried this marvel of ergonomic design? Will it
    cure my writers' block, add to my cyber credibility, be comfortable?

    h2so4, Oct 7, 2003
  9. Rieper

    S.Anderson Guest

    My problem I believe is not enough RPM intake. Currently I have a Thermoflow
    intake fan, which is temp regulated. Unless it gets hot inside it will
    remain around 2500RPM. I will instead go with a good 3800RPM fan from Vantec
    to push more cooler air inside my case.

    Hopefully this will lower my cpu temp.

    S.Anderson, Oct 7, 2003
  10. Rieper

    David P. Guest

    I'm deciding whether to abandon the IC7-G in favour of an Intel board or
    I haven't seen any benchmarks for that chair. I think I'd stick with the
    Abit.

    David P.

    David P., Oct 7, 2003
  11. Rieper

    TomG Guest

    I have two of them... one for me and one for the wife. Very comfortable
    chairs and adjustable out the wazoo. I'd say they are worth the money,
    personally.

    TomG, Oct 7, 2003
  12. Rieper

    Skid Guest

    Well, one out of three's not bad ;>)

    Skid, Oct 7, 2003
  13. It may allow you to sit iso. stand in front of your computer, which probably is
    more comfortable.

    Gerard H. Pille, Oct 7, 2003
  14. Rieper

    h2so4 Guest

    It may allow you to sit iso. stand in front of your computer, which
    probably is
    Good point! The more I think of it the more this chair makes sense.

    h2so4, Oct 7, 2003
  15. Rieper

    h2so4 Guest

    You must be one of those "new man" types. I'm sending my wife out to sell
    kisses to sailors to pay for the chair. I find that rubbing her down with an
    oily rag keeps her in reasonable condition.

    h2so4, Oct 7, 2003
  16. Rieper

    TomG Guest

    uh, the wife has the better paying job between the two of us so what she
    wants (in terms of toys and such...) she gets. (Hush Jef!)

    TomG, Oct 7, 2003
  17. Rieper

    Jef Norton Guest

    I had nuthin' to say. Honest.