    Blaedmon Guest

    I'm wanting to put an XP 3200+ in a Tyan 2462 mobo - but do they make a
    266fsb xp3200+ at all?

    Blaedmon, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Blaedmon

    Doughnut Guest

    Nope the 3200xp only comes in the 200fsb 400mhz version, the fastest i
    believe is the 2600xp but i hear they are very rare. Best going for a 2400xp
    266 fsb.

    doughnut

    Doughnut, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Blaedmon

    Tod Guest

    I believe the fastest 266FSB XP is the 2600.

    Tod, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Blaedmon

    Species Guest

    I think there were 2700+ or 2800+ ones too, but very rare. You're best bet
    would be to get a Thoroughbred B Athlon XP 2400+

    Barton Athlon XPs such as the 3200+ are for 166/333MHz and 200/400MHz FSB
    only.

    Species, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Blaedmon

    Wes Newell Guest

    if you want to run it at 266FSB (133MHz) they do. Only the defaults are
    set on the cpu's. In reality, any of them will run on a 133MHz (or 100MHz)
    FSB. The problem is that you need an unlocked cpu to change the multiplier
    to get the max speed from the CPU. To run a 3200+ barton at about the same
    rated speed as default (2200MHz). You'd need a multiplier of 16.5. Easy to
    do with an unlocked cpu. The link below may help.

    Wes Newell, Feb 12, 2004
  6. Blaedmon

    Blaedmon Guest

    Many thanks, guys. My mobo has NO overclocking options, however, due to it
    being server-based (tyan 2462) so I guess I'll have to stick with defaults
    :/ Looks like a 2400 or a 2600 is in order. Thanks for your infos ;)

    Blaedmon, Feb 12, 2004
  7. Blaedmon

    Wes Newell Guest

    Add a little wire to the socket and your board has complete overclocking
    capabilities (assuming you have an unlocked cpu's).

    http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

    Wes Newell, Feb 12, 2004
  8. Blaedmon

    Ben Pope Guest

    You should note that 200*11 != 133*16.5 for many applications due to the
    difference in memory bandwidth.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Feb 12, 2004
  9. Blaedmon

    Wes Newell Guest

    :) They're lucky I typed that much. Bandwidth only matters in certain
    apps and that's a whole nother subject. There's times when it's clock
    speed that matters too. A 2700+ Tbred will outperform a 2800+ Barton in
    certain apps too, but the difference is not big either way. But i guess
    for clarities sake, I should state that there's about a 3% overall
    performance loss for every 33MHz lower in FSB speed if ram is in sync.

    Wes Newell, Feb 13, 2004