    where one can order a backup program, Backup Simplicity, for $100. I'm
    curious as to what this program provides that justifies a five-fold increment
    in price over such as SuperDuper! which is available for $20.

    James L. Ryan, May 5, 2005

  2. Good question, James. But I'm curious as to why you aren't considering
    Synchronize! Pro X, which is written by Qdea, the same developer that
    writes Backup Simplicity.

    For all the years that I've been a SyncProX user, I've never seriously
    considered using Backup Simplicity. I'm not even sure why it's the same
    price as SyncProX, which is far more versatile. Maybe it's the fact
    that Backup Simplicity packages the same basic kind of reliable
    bootable backup functionality in a way that makes it a bit easier to
    use for the folks who don't want to sort through all the customizable
    parameters in SyncProX...but that's just a guess based on one quick
    trip to the Backup Simplicity features page.

    While I have no experience with Backup Simplicity, I have used both
    SyncProX and SuperDuper. SuperDuper works, but it doesn't have all the
    features I want. For my purposes, SyncProX is the backup application of
    choice. Qdea's support is good-very responsive and helpful. You can
    read my most recent review of SyncProX at the following URL:

    http://www.versiontracker.com/php/feedback/article.php?story=20050222032010158

    SyncProX was the first fully functional backup app for OS X that would
    reliably make bootable backups, which are an absolute must for me, for
    all the reasons stated in the review. There are other apps that do
    less, or don't do it as well, or don't allow scheduled backups,
    or...well, you can check it out for yourself.

    In fact, I would recommend that you address your questions about Qdea's
    apps directly to Qdea support. I've never had a question go unanswered.
    In the worst case, buy a license and use the software to see whether it
    does the job for you. If not, you can get a full refund within the
    first 30 days.

    Alternatively, if SuperDuper (or any other backup app) provides you
    with the features you need and otherwise meets your criteria, then
    there's no reason to spend more for features you don't need and won't
    use.

    SyncProX is the most full-featured backup app I've found. Given that
    SyncProX costs the same as Backup Simplicity, for my money the choice
    is between SyncProX and everything else, and SyncProX is the clear
    winner. That doesn't explicitly answer your question about Backup
    Simplicity, but I hope it's of some help in evaluating your choices for
    backup apps.

    Vito

    Vito DiLuminoso, May 5, 2005

  3. Vito,

    Many thanks for a most thorough reply! At this time I am using SuperDuper! to
    perform my nightly bootable backups, and as of now I have never been aware of
    any problems either retrieving files from those backups or even booting from
    those backups. Interestingly I have not, until now, been aware of Qdea or
    their backup products.

    Jim

    James L. Ryan, May 5, 2005
  4. James L. Ryan

    Ian Gregory Guest

    Ditto for me with Carbon Copy Cloner - except that the backups are
    not nightly:) I can't do sheduled backups, not because CCC doesn't
    support them, but because I have an iBook and I never leave it in
    the same location as the FireWire disk that I use for backup. So
    I only connect the disk once every couple of weeks.

    I have never had a problem recovering a file or booting from the
    backup (though I have rarely had to do either).
    Neither have I.

    Ian Gregory, May 5, 2005
  5. James L. Ryan

    Ilgaz Guest

    Hi,

    Of course those paid applications must be better but if you need to
    clone your stuff etc, Lacie Silverkeeper (they posted new version for
    tiger) is worth a try.

    Get from Versiontracker. Its free.

    I use it in a very funny way, I make selective backups with its
    excellent selection, unselection and use same HD (got 1 hd here)
    folder, as backup. Then, I fire Archive Assistant part of StuffIt
    Deluxe 9 to backup that folder to a CD-RW with evil compression rates

    I guess Lacie coders and/or Stuff It coders may really get confused for
    such kind of usage. ;) Well, I should stop being cheap and buy a Lacie
    DVD recorder. After seeing quality of code offered for free, I have no
    alternative rather than Lacie for my Mac. Thats what they get for
    offering it free. ;)

    Ilgaz Ocal

    Ilgaz, May 8, 2005