What's the best smallest PC notebook/laptop to get from the local retail stores?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by ANTant, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. ANTant

    ANTant Guest

    Hi,

    What are the best PC laptops/notebooks to get these days? It needs to be light, small (15"
    should be OK), plenty of memory and disk space, run Windows XP, comes with modem, network
    (wireless and hardwire), DVD burner, good support, last about five years, etc. Also, it has to
    have a power adapter supported for airplanes for frequent travelling.

    I would like to see them in local retail stores like Best Buy, CompUSA, Fry's Electronics,
    Costco, etc. to sample them.

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    Allah's Apostle said, "Once while a prophet amongst the prophets was taking a rest underneath a tree, an ant bit him. He, therefore, ordered that his luggage be taken away from underneath that tree and then ordered that the dwelling place of the ants should be set on fire. Allah sent him a revelation: 'Wouldn't it have been sufficient to burn a single ant (that bit you)?'" --Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Book 54, Number 536
    /\___/\
    ( )

    ANTant, Dec 7, 2005

  2. ANTant

    Joel Kolstad Guest

    This is pretty much impossible to answer... go to those stores and try them
    out!
    You can't expect any computer (laptop or desktop) to realistically still be
    usable in five years -- three years is a more reasonable estimate. Granted,
    plenty of people DO use 5+ year old computers, but for the average person who
    has to run the same software as their clients, their company, etc, a 5 year
    old laptop looks pretty slow.

    Joel Kolstad, Dec 7, 2005

  3. Sample them in the store, then order it online. Save a packet! ;-)

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Dec 8, 2005
  4. ANTant

    J. Clarke Guest

    And don't be too surprised if next time you go to do that the store's not
    there anymore or doesn't carry that kind of product anymore.

    Personally, if I need to see something before I buy it I'll buy it from
    where I saw it.

    J. Clarke, Dec 8, 2005
  5. There's loads of other suckers to pay the high street prices. Places like
    PCworld will be serving the clueless public for decades to come.

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Dec 8, 2005