whats the diff b\w various arm-xx-gcc versions? (newbie)

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Mayank Kaushik, Jan 29, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    Ive been using ADS till now, but since 45 day trial is gonna end in a
    few days, i have decided to switch to the GNU toolchain..and im
    painfully new to it.

    While searching for the particular toolchain to download, i came
    accross many versions..on gnuarm.com i found arm-elf-gcc etc, on
    codesourcery.com i found arm-none-eabi-gcc etc, and on the AT91-CDROM i
    found arm-linux-gcc etc. Exactly what is the difference between all
    these versions of gcc?? how do i decide which one to use?? (i am using
    a custom board based on the ARM920t (AT91rm9200), i also have to port a
    simple OS like uC/OS to the board.).

    Also, will i be able to use code made on one of the above toolchains
    with the other? Like, for example, i downloaded the u-boot sourcecode.
    The makefile had arm-linux-gcc as the cross-compiler. I tried using
    arm-elf-gcc from gnuarm.com, i changed the appropriate variable in the
    makefile, but the compiler complained that a particular option in the
    makefile "-mshort-load-bytes" was invalid. I removed this option, but
    then the linker complained "no space to store headers, use -N" which i
    did, and the binary was created. Thats all nice and dandy, but whats
    going on???

    Thanx in anticipation
    Mayank

    Mayank Kaushik, Jan 29, 2005

  2. The middle "word" tells you the object file format generated
    and/or the target OS.
    I'd recommend using arm-elf-gcc. The arm-linux-gcc version
    assumes you're going to be running Linux on your target
    hardware. I'm not sure what none-eabi is.

    You can usually compile source code under any version, but
    there are some options that may not be supported.

    Grant Edwards, Jan 29, 2005