What's the difference between "478 pin PPGA" and "478 pin PPGA FC-PGA2"

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Some Guy, Jun 28, 2005.

  1. Some Guy

    Some Guy Guest

    Intel specs some chips as "478 pin PPGA"
    and for others it adds "FC-PGA2".

    What's the difference between the 2 package types?

    For example, this one:

    SL6WU 3 GHz 800 MHz 0.13 micron D1 512 KB 478 pin PPGA
    CPUID String 0F29h
    Box Order Code BX80532PG3000D

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...Fam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=6581

    and this one:

    SL6WK 3 GHz 800 MHz 0.13 micron D1 512 KB 478 pin PPGA FC-PGA2
    CPUID String 0F29h
    Box Order Code BX80532PG3000D

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...Fam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=6581

    They seem exactly the same.

    Why does intel give them a different "sSpec" number?

    Some Guy, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Some Guy

    Rolf Blom Guest

    See Intel package descriptions for PPGA and FC-PGA2 here:

    http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-009863.htm

    /Rolf

    Rolf Blom, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Some Guy

    Some Guy Guest

    Thanks for the link.

    But it's somewhat contradictory.

    For example, it says:

    ---------
    PPGA Package Type
    PPGA is short for Plastic Pin Grid Array, and these processors have
    pins that are inserted into a socket. To improve thermal conductivity,
    the PPGA uses a nickel plated copper heat slug on top of the
    processor. The pins on the bottom of the chip are staggered. In
    addition, the pins are arranged in a way that the processor can only
    be inserted one way into the socket. The PPGA package is used by early
    Intel Celeron processors, which have 370 pins.

    Front picture:
    http://support.intel.com/support/processors/procid/pix/ppga_t.jpg
    ------------

    Note that it said that "the ppga package is used by early intel
    celeron processors, which have 370 pins". Yet Intel is specing a 3
    ghz P-4 as having that package:

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...Fam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=6581

    I've never seen a P-4 (or Celeron version of P-4) that has a PPGA
    package as depicted in the PPGA picture.

    I'm going to assume that any reference that Intel makes to a Northwood
    Socket 478 version P4 (or celeron) as having a PPGA package is
    basically wrong and they ahould all say FC-PGA2.

    Comments?

    Some Guy, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Some Guy

    kony Guest

    PPGA is just a generic description of the interface type,
    but actually ALL socket 478 chips are PGA2 type. It is
    simply a minor human error in nomenclature to not remain
    consistent in this.
    The "K" (as in SL6WK) was originally an OEM CPU designation
    but some (might) get diverted to retail (boxed w/'sink) but
    are not remarked. The two are the same (phsical) CPU
    excepting that letter.

    kony, Jun 28, 2005