    difference between a Pentium and a Xeon?

    Thanks and excuse my naivety.

    Wes

    Wes Harrison, Nov 26, 2003

  2. The Opteron has multi-cpu support, the Athlon64 truely does not. The
    Opteron has duel channel ddr memory the Athlon64 has one. The Athlon64
    can use unbuffered memory the Opteron cannot. CPU socket... That´s
    about all I can think of off the top of my head

    Carlo

    Carlo Razzeto, Nov 27, 2003

  3. Wes Harrison

    Nate Edel Guest

    True for the Opteron 24x and 84x series; the Opteron 14x is in practice
    single-cpu only.
    IIRC, the Athlon64 FX has dual channel memory as well -- it's more of a
    Socket 754 vs Socket 940 difference.
    Also AFAICT a Socket 754/940 difference: the Athlon 64 FX also seems to
    require registered memory.

    Also, currently shipping Opterons have a 333mhz FSB, while Athlon 64 and
    Athlon 64 FX both have a 400mhz FSB; there are, however, 400mhz FSB Opterons
    in the pipeline.

    Finally, the available clock rates are different: the Athlon 64 is available
    only in 2.0ghz, the Athlon 64 FX only in 2.2ghz, while the Opterons are
    available in 1.4,1.6,2.0, or 2.2ghz speeds.

    Nate Edel, Nov 27, 2003
  4. Wes Harrison

    Wes Harrison Guest

    Thank you both for your replies. So what would be the difference in
    application of the two processors?

    Wes

    Wes Harrison, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Wes Harrison

    Per Ekman Guest

    Opterons have 3 HyperTransport channels, Athlon64/FX-51 has one.
    Opterons and Athlon64 FX-51 has a 144-bit wide memory bus while
    Athlon64 has a 72-bit wide memory bus. Athlon64s may appear with
    smaller caches but AFAIK the only currently available one (3200+) has
    1MB of L2.

    *p

    Per Ekman, Nov 28, 2003
  6. Wes Harrison

    Nate Edel Guest

    Opterons are aimed at the "server/workstation market" while the Athlon 64s
    are currently aimed at the high-end desktop and enthusiast market...
    although AMD seems to plan to move the Athlon 64 to cover their entire
    desktop range.

    Or, put differently, Opteron is a Xeon competitor, while Althon 64 is the
    new top end of the Duron/Athlon XP line.

    Nate Edel, Nov 28, 2003
  7. Does that make any performance difference?

    Curious,
    Stephen

    Stephen Lee -- post replies please, Nov 29, 2003
  8. It makes a multi-cpu/no multi-cpu difference. Opteron line cpu's can support
    multi-processeors... No A64/AFX cpu can.

    Carlo

    Carlo Razzeto, Nov 29, 2003
  9. Wes Harrison

    Per Ekman Guest

    The extra HT-channels could be used to provide extra I/O capabilities
    for the Opterons, but AFAIK there are no motherboards that do that.

    *p

    Per Ekman, Nov 29, 2003
  10. It would likely make a significant difference if you used them, none at
    all if you didn't. Other than connecting additional CPUs on the other HT
    channels, the onlt other significant current application is to put the AGP
    port on its own channel.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Nov 29, 2003
  11. Wes Harrison

    Nate Edel Guest

    ....although there's also the question of how many of the HT links implement
    the coherency protocol; the 84x implements it on all three links, the 24x on
    one of them, and the 14x on none of the three.

    Which, of course, means that the 14x is _not_ multi-processor capable.

    The other question is whether this is _really_ a hardware difference, or
    whether (and this goes for the 2nd and 3rd links on the A64FX, too) it's
    purely a matter of the processor-ID and what the chipsets will/won't
    support.

    Nate Edel, Nov 29, 2003
  12. That's fine, and the current AthlonFX would be a modified 14x Opteron, but
    that of course will change soon, so I've been purposly ignoring the current
    FX as you've noticed....
    There is a difference because the A64 and future AFX's do/will lack the
    extra HT link *physically* there for there is a real difference.
    joined."

    Carlo

    Carlo Razzeto, Nov 30, 2003
  13. Wes Harrison

    Mike Smith Guest

    The Athlon64 FX51 is essentially an Opteron 148 with a different name,
    including being a Socket 940 CPU.

    Mike Smith, Dec 1, 2003