What's the difference between these two memory models

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Rob Nicholson, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. Friend wants to upgrade their Dell Inspiron 4000 which takes the following
    memory:

    SDRAM, PC133 . CL=2 . Non-parity . 133MHz . 3.3V . 32Meg x 64 . 144 pin

    If I wander down the memory on Crucial's site using the above as the spec,
    you end up here:

    http://tinyurl.com/mqj22

    but if you use the memory advisor tool, you end up here:

    http://tinyurl.com/m98bl

    The only difference (apart from the price of course) is in the part code:

    CT32M64S8W7E (£31.71) (manual lookup)
    CT32M64S4W7E (£51.69) (memory advisor)

    I tried to find a part that describes the Crucial part code naming
    convention to try and work out what the "4" and "8" mean. I'm suspecting
    it's chip density.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Sep 11, 2006

  2. Rob Nicholson

    johannes Guest

    The information 32MBx64 is obviously wrong. 256MB = 32MBx8. The '64' may come
    from the bus width. So can the configuration information be trusted? Maybe
    one is 32MBx8 and the other is 64MBx4, that could explain the numbers 8 and 4?

    johannes, Sep 11, 2006

  3. Rob Nicholson

    Graham W Guest

    It's only a free phone call away - 0800 013 0330 - so ask directly.

    Graham W, Sep 11, 2006
  4. Rob Nicholson

    Jay B Guest

    crucial only guarantees their memory to work in a specific computer if
    you use there memory advisor, which will give you certain part numbers
    specific to that brand+series.
    the chips could be the same, but for each series of a computer, it is a
    different part number, that's how they know you are using the right
    chip. and some times, the prices are different based on supply and
    demand. i find that the "non specific chips" are a little cheaper from
    crucial. do it both ways and use some common sense.

    Jay B, Sep 11, 2006