    What's the fastest Abit board that still has these ports? Does any
    flavor of IC7 or IS7 have them?

    Thanks.

    Rick, Mar 27, 2005

  2. Rick

    TomG Guest

    IS7-G and IC7-G (AKA IC7 MAXX2 Advance) has serial and parallel ports...
    IC7-G is a good board, too! personal opinion, at least...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Mar 27, 2005

  3. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Thanks Tom. Abit's comparison chart is confusing. It lists version
    1.1 of both the IC7 and IC7-G. Does that mean 1.0 versions were
    also released? If so, are there any differences in stability or
    performance? And where is the MAX3 in their chart?

    Rick, Mar 27, 2005
  4. Rick

    Connected Guest

    It doesn't have to be G model. Just IC7 will do for a few bucks less.

    Connected, Mar 27, 2005
  5. IIRC the only difference between the 1.0 and 1.1 was a slightly redesigned
    onboard audio section designed to reduce interference and spurious noise.
    The IC7 Max3 is probably moot for you as it doesn't have serial, parallel or
    infra-red ports on it.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Mar 27, 2005
  6. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Great info. Thanks!

    Rick, Mar 27, 2005
  7. Rick

    frodo Guest

    IS7 also has legacy ports (1 par, 1 ser).

    frodo, Mar 27, 2005
  8. Rick

    TomG Guest

    true but you don't get onboard LAN if I recall... maybe 10/100 but not
    gigabit? not sure... could have sworn there have been posts here that said
    the vanilla IC7 didn't have any onboard LAN and I'm too doggone lazy to go
    and look on the web right now...

    TomG, Mar 27, 2005
  9. Rick

    Rick Guest

    Yes, I think the "G" stands for onboard gigabit, which would
    be great to have.

    Next step is finding the best cpu.. Northwoods seem to be
    getting hard to find. Are SL793 (3.4GHz) and SL792 (3.2)
    the premiere chips/steppings right now? What's the upper
    range of o/cability with 2.4's and 2.8's, assuming proper
    memory + cooling?

    Rick, Mar 27, 2005
  10. Rick

    Dion L Heap Guest

    Vanilla IC7 Does NOT have onboard LAN although the socket is there, ie, it
    looks like it has it, but the backplate has the LAN socket blocked off.
    The IC-7G DOES have onboard LAN.

    I've built systems with both boards and the above is 100% correct.

    Dion L Heap
    www.thetophouse.com

    Dion L Heap, Mar 27, 2005
  11. Rick

    TomG Guest

    I'm running a 2.8c (Northwood) at 245 FSB (roughly 3435 Mhz) with no issues
    at stock voltage and I am sure I could go higher with maybe some voltage
    boost. running a Zalman CNPS7000CU and 92 MM fan that comes with it and
    temps might peak during the summer at around 60 to 61 under heavy gaming
    with two computers in the room and two humans putting english on their
    chairs trying to avoid each other's shots... you get the picture <grin>.
    normal unloaded temps in the mid 40's to 48 or so...

    I haven't investigated what CPU's are available here lately but I have seen
    that Northwoods are getting scarce.

    TomG, Mar 27, 2005
  12. Yeah, it would be. Given the relatively small price difference, the IC7-G
    package is well worth the extra over the vanilla IC7. It's not just the
    onboard CSA network chip, you also get a Serillel II converter in the box.
    Not really, but a lot depends on whether you are working within any hard
    constraints memory-wise (i.e. are you already stuck with some RAM?).

    Given a free choice, your best bets are probably a D1 stepping 2.6C or 2.8C,
    matched with the fastest PC4400 you can find.
    Depends on whether you get a mediocre chip or a screamer. Could be anywhere
    between, say, 3.2 and 3.7GHz, without going silly on cooling.

    Richard Hopkins, Mar 28, 2005
  13. Rick

    Connected Guest

    I already have my own ethernet card. The price difference when I
    bought my IC7 was almost $100.00 CAD. IC7-G I believe has one or two
    extra SATA port too.
    IC7=$175.00
    IC7-G=$275.00
    That was well over a year ago though. I didn't need the SATA or the
    ethernet so saved $100.00 CAD.

    Connected, Mar 28, 2005
  14. Rick

    Connected Guest

    I had this problem on v1.0 IC7 even though I wasn't using the onboard
    sound. I could hear my mouse wheel scrolling in IE through the
    speakers but it was fixed in a later bios update. I don't have the
    problem anymore.

    Connected, Mar 28, 2005
  15. Rick

    Rick Guest

    IIRC they just disabled the microphone input as a "fix".

    Rick, Mar 28, 2005
  16. Rick

    Connected Guest

    Good. Not good if you use the onboard sound and use a Mic though.

    Connected, Mar 28, 2005