    What's the fastest processor that this motherboard will support?
    ASUS A7V8X ?
    (Currently running Athlon XP 2200+)

    singa_lvr, Jan 1, 2004

  2. singa_lvr

    Ed Guest

    Athlon XP 3000+(333 MHZ FSB)(Model 10)(Barton)
    PCB BIOS Memo
    1.04* 1011 *Only with a FSB333 sticker on south bridge.

    http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Jan 1, 2004

  3. singa_lvr

    Access Guest

    I'm asking myself the same question, since I have the same board and I would
    like to upgrade to XP2800+. But ... I don't have the yellow sticker ... so I
    can't use Barton processors ? This sucks ...

    Access, Jan 1, 2004
  4. singa_lvr

    Ed Guest

    The fastest chip for that board officially (no mods or hacking) would be
    an AXDA2600DKV3C (133x16). If you can adjust the FSB on your board to
    say 140MHz you'd be looking at 2240MHz. ;p

    If you decide to go for a 2600+ just make sure you order the right one,
    AXDA2600DKV3C 2600+ 2133MHz (133x16.0)
    AXDA2600DKV3D 2600+ 2083MHz (166x12.5)
    AXDA2800DKV4D 2600+ 1917MHz (166x11.5) Barton

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed, Jan 1, 2004
  5. singa_lvr

    Ed Guest

    That should be ,,,,,
    AXDA2600DKV4D 2600+ 1917MHz (166x11.5) Barton

    Sorry bout that!
    Ed

    Ed, Jan 1, 2004
  6. singa_lvr

    singa_lvr Guest

    That's what I want to upgrade to, the 2800+.

    Where is this "yellow sticker" supposed to be? (Where is the South
    Bridge?)

    singa_lvr, Jan 1, 2004
  7. singa_lvr

    singa_lvr Guest

    Never mind .... found it. (Amazing what manuals do!) It's not a
    yellow sticker, it's red and white on mine.

    Thanks ....

    singa_lvr, Jan 1, 2004
  8. singa_lvr

    Access Guest

    Lucky you, I don't have one ... I always seem to buy non-upgradable
    motherboards ;-(

    Access, Jan 1, 2004
  9. singa_lvr

    singha_lvr Guest

    Don't feel bad. This is a first for me. I'm usually in your boat.

    Maybe 2004 will be a good year, heh?

    singha_lvr, Jan 2, 2004
  10. singa_lvr

    Dunny Rummy Guest

    Time to get a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe!!!
    This is probably the best mobo I have ever used!
    ASUS provides flashes to meet tomorrow's technologies on these mobos'
    CPU:
    AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ Barton
    CPU Clock Speed 2017.1 MHz (over clocked)
    Clock multiplier x 11.5
    Front Side Bus Frequency 175.4 MHz
    Bus Speed 350.8 MHz

    Mainboard and chipset:
    Motherboard manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    Motherboard model A7N8X, REV 1.xx
    BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
    BIOS revision ASUS A7N8X Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1007
    BIOS release date 10/08/2003
    Chipset nVidia nForce2 SPP rev. A2
    Southbridge nVidia nForce2 MCP rev. A3
    Sensor chip Asus ASB100

    AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0
    AGP Data Transfert Rate 8x
    AGP Side Band Addressing supported, not enabled
    AGP Aperture Size 64 MBytes

    Memory
    DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
    DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
    DRAM Frequency 175.4 MHz
    FSB:DRAM 1:1
    CAS# Latency 3.0 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
    RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
    Cycle Time (TRAS) 7 clocks
    # of memory modules 2
    Module 0 Wintec Industries DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
    Module 1 Wintec Industries DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)

    Dunny Rummy, Jan 2, 2004
  11. singa_lvr

    singha_lvr Guest

    Any chance that this board will ever support even faster processors?
    (Is there a technical limitation to it doing so?)

    singha_lvr, Jan 13, 2004
  12. singa_lvr

    Arnie Berger Guest

    I think that the fastest front side bus supported by the A7N8X is 200
    MHz. As long as processor speed bumps allow you to use the same bus
    protocols and speeds, and the BIOS can be updated to allow the
    appropriate multipliers and voltages to be set, then you can probably
    use the same mobo with faster chips. However, most of the time the
    money is in the new design, not speed-ups of old designs. So, I would
    expect AMD to place their immediate focus on Athlon 64, rather than
    speeding up the "old" chips.

    arnie

    Arnie Berger, Jan 13, 2004