    I would like to buy a laptop, but not if I get connected to India and the
    "helpers" barely speak English..... What nut at Dell came up with this idea
    to make customers happy?

    W2K zealot, Dec 10, 2003

  2. W2K zealot

    Leythos Guest

    Buy from the Small Business site, let them know that you are a home
    based business, buy the extra $39 warranty coverage to get US based
    support.

    Leythos, Dec 10, 2003

  3. W2K zealot

    Irene Guest

    And then pray that you still don't wind up connected to the India Tech
    Support site, if you should need help.

    Irene, Dec 10, 2003
  4. W2K zealot

    Insight Guest

    As I was searching the cosmos for some sign of intelligent life, I heard
    Interesting. What warranty is this?

    insight

    --
    "Well, I wasn't going to let the thing chomp us," she said. "What's the
    use of going on a quest if you just get eaten?"

    Sorceress Iris

    Geis Of The Gargoyle
    by Piers Anthony

    Insight, Dec 10, 2003
  5. W2K zealot

    Hank Oredson Guest

    I've been connected to India a few times.

    The folks I talked with spoke better English than
    most of the posters to this newsgroup can write.

    --

    ... Hank

    Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
    W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

    Hank Oredson, Dec 11, 2003
  6. W2K zealot

    Irene Guest

    I've been connected to India a few times.
    Do you ;mean like this?

    Irene, Dec 11, 2003
  7. W2K zealot

    Tom Scales Guest

    Oh no. How many times is she going to quote this.

    Tom Scales, Dec 11, 2003
  8. W2K zealot

    The Hedonist Guest

    Dell laptop support is not outsourced to india

    The Hedonist, Dec 11, 2003
  9. W2K zealot

    Carol Guest

    Is this new? I have a laptop and the last time I called about 8 months ago
    I reached India. I don't bother calling anymore and now send emails and
    it's obvious that the person is from overseas because of their formal
    writing.

    Carol

    Carol, Dec 11, 2003
  10. W2K zealot

    Leythos Guest

    I have a client with an 1100 that developed a bad CD-RW drive. I called
    and the call went to India (I asked where the tech was located). I spent
    several minutes explaining how it would read blue media but not silver
    media and that it was a defective lens or LED that was the problem. We
    have an onsite warranty for this unit.

    The chap insisted that I remove/reseat the CD drive. I told him that we
    have a onsite warranty and that reseating the drive WOULD NOT FIX the
    problem - it was a defective lens/LED. After 40 minutes of me telling
    him I would not remove/reseat the drive, that if had to have parts taken
    out that we were under warranty...... Nothing, he would not send me a
    drive, would not let me speak with his supervisor, told me his
    supervisor said he would not talk with me until I reseated the drive....

    I have an order for $378K of Dell servers, that had not been placed at
    the time, and I told him that I was going to call corporate in TX and
    tell them about my experience and how I was taking my $378K purchase to
    another vendor because of this experience... It didn't phase him, still
    not going to send me a drive. I told him to tell his supervisor what I
    said... They agreed to send me the drive over-night at that point.

    Just so everyone will know, I reseated the drive before replacing it,
    and it still didn't work - the new drive worked fine on all media. I've
    been designing and supporting computer systems (actually designed 6
    layer PC boards in the old days) for longer than most of their Indian
    support people have been alive :)

    My experience with off-shore teams is that they don't have the skills
    for the abstract, they must follow a path that was put out for them and
    can not deviate from it without getting messed up.

    Leythos, Dec 11, 2003
  11. It's not "off-shore" that's the problem, it's the fact that they're
    script-readers. I've had the same problem with English speaking,
    American script-readers.

    Larry

    Lawrence Glasser, Dec 11, 2003
  12. Would you allow me to add a very large "YES" to that????

    A few years ago now, HP really p****d me off for this very problem!!

    I had one of their Ink-Jets (a reasonably good/pricey model for the
    time) where I was convinced that the belt holding the Cartridges had
    gone out of registration - causing the Jets not to cap properly. This
    resulted in my Cartridges continually drying up!!

    Whenever I wanted to use it (it was a home use model), I either had to
    spend about an hour trying to de-block the jets (not always successful)
    or simply replace the cartridge with a new one. Effectively I was ONLY
    printing out a few sheets of paper before I had to replace both Cartridges.

    HP were only available on a 9-5 basis & hence I had to call from work.

    Each time I called (after hanging on for ages) I got through to a Tech
    who had NO record of any of my earlier calls & INSISTED that I run a
    series of tests from scratch EVERY time (NONE of them relevant to the
    problem).

    Eventually, if the Tech requested that I run Tests "a", "b", "c", "d"; I
    would just say yes. He would then ask me to run the same tests, but in a
    different order!!!

    I was NEVER ever asked to run a test that was remotely relevant & they
    point-blank refused to listen to the symptoms of the problem as they had
    a "procedure" that had to be followed!

    Just to give you a idea of the sort of tests, I was even asked had I
    turned the paper over???

    Eventually, since the Printer was costing me a fortune in Cartridges, I
    just decided to dump it & buy a non-HP Printer. Needless to say, I've no
    intention of ever returning to HP!!

    Regards,
    John

    John J. Burness, Dec 11, 2003
  13. W2K zealot

    Irene Guest

    Probably less than the number of times you post messages that insult people
    and call them names.

    Irene, Dec 11, 2003
  14. W2K zealot

    Irene Guest

    Wrong

    Irene, Dec 11, 2003
  15. W2K zealot

    MB Guest

    Irene:

    Thanks --- I was just going to repost that!
    <g>

    Mel (recipient of that email)

    MB, Dec 12, 2003
  16. W2K zealot

    zuuum Guest

    Purchase the unit as a small business if you are having issues about it.
    FYI - There was a recent MSNBC.com article about Dell changing the support
    offshoreing because of the complaints. Anyone read it?

    zuuum, Dec 12, 2003
  17. W2K zealot

    zuuum Guest

    lmao Hank.. but I think you may have a valid point. I have never really had
    a problem with ANY Dell support tech, and I have spoken to both US and
    Indian, since I own a few Dell's and some purchased as home consumer (Dell
    auction and outlet machines are great deal.. you inherit big biz status,
    btw)

    zuuum, Dec 12, 2003
  18. W2K zealot

    zuuum Guest

    zuuum, Dec 12, 2003
  19. Yes, it is.

    I called about two months ago about a problem that I was having with
    my then-newly purchased Inspiron 8600 and got a tech in India. She
    spent close to 45 minutes on the phone with me, having me perform all
    sorts of tricks trying to get my wireless networking going. BTW -
    because of her accent, she was *very* hard to understand. Shouldn't
    understandable communication skill be a primary requisite for
    telephone support personnel? Anyway, after nothing that she had me try
    worked, she asked if she could consult with her supervisor and call me
    back within a half hour. I believed her (my bad, apparently) and
    agreed. She never called back (that day). As an aside, the next day,
    in yet another attempt to solve the problem on my own, I uninstalled,
    then re-installed the Dell 2300 wireless router that was ordered with
    the notebook and the problem was solved...not that Dell Tech Support
    knew about, though.

    Anyway, about a *month* later (now, a month *ago*), she called my
    house while I was at work and told a family member that she would call
    back at a pre-arranged time later that day. I'm still waiting for that
    call...

    Outsourced support sucks!
    --
    Rich Cervenka