What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

Discussion in 'HP' started by Misha, Sep 8, 2013.

  1. Misha

    Misha Guest

    In another thread, I mentioned a friend gave me a printer.
    Here is a picture of the HP LaserJet 2100TN hooked up at my house:
    http://i42.tinypic.com/kxq9t.gif

    The friend had it on AppleTalk (Macintosh), but I'm Windows
    and Linux (XP and Ubuntu).

    I plugged the printer into the router by the ethernet cable, and
    rebooted. Nothing happened on the WinXP PC connected to the same
    router by ethernet cable. Nothing happened on the Ubuntu laptop
    connected wirelessly by the same cable. Nor on the Android phone.

    Probably I need drivers, but, when I went to the HP support page,
    they had tons of drivers. But which one is the one needed to enable
    the WinXP PC (and the other PCs connected wirelessly to the router)
    to see the printer?
    http://i42.tinypic.com/2ro52ty.gif

    Which of those drivers will make the ethernet work?
    1. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 5e Printer Driver
    2. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 Printer Driver
    3. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 5e point and print bundles
    4. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 point and print bundles
    5. 3 - HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5
    6. HP Printer Administrator Resource Kit

    Or is there another trick to making the printer show up to
    Windows XP? (The workgroup is "HOME" for the WinXP PC.)

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013

  2. Misha

    PV Guest

    You need to assign an IP address to the printer, one that resides within
    your existing IP scheme. Install the drivers on the respective computer. I
    would use the PCL 6 and print bundles. I have no idea about the Linux
    machine.

    If the printer drivers to not automatically find the printer you will have
    to create a printer port pointed at the IP address of the printer

    A very brief overview of how it's done.

    --
    PV

    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is only difficult
    for others.

    It is the same when you are stupid

    PV, Sep 8, 2013

  3. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Or is there another trick to making the printer show up to Windows XP?
    Reading this service manual:
    http://www.lbrty.com/tech/Manuals_HP/2100sm.pdf

    Page 140 seemed the most likely for network configuration, but,
    there was really nothing there that could actually be used.

    I went to the IP address of the printer using the web, and it
    wanted me to install a Java plugin, so, I'm hoping Java will
    get the HP 2100TN printer visible on the WinXP PC network.
    http://i42.tinypic.com/2ilbm13.gif

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  4. Misha

    Misha Guest

    OK. I'll install the one called:
    4. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 point and print bundles
    It seems (from the printouts my friend provided with the machine) that
    the HP LaserJet 2100TN printer had an IP address at my friend's house
    of 192.168.1.116.

    Interestingly, my router is at 192.168.1.1, and, when I printed a test
    page, it showed the printer *still* has that IP address, but this time,
    on my network.

    Just to see what happens, I pointed my WinXP browser to that URL:
    http://192.168.1.116 (on port 80)

    And, well, it found *something* ...
    http://i42.tinypic.com/2ilbm13.gif

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  5. Misha

    Ed Pawlowski Guest

    Go to Control Panel Printers Add a new printer

    On W7 you can go directly to Devices and Printers, but I forget on XP
    so I know you can go through Control Panel

    Ed Pawlowski, Sep 8, 2013
  6. Misha

    Misha Guest

    The funny thing is that my friend gave me only a power cord.

    There is no direct connection to the printer from the Windows XP
    desktop.

    The WinXP desktop is connected to the home broadband router via
    an ethernet cable just like the printer is currently connected
    to that same router by an ethernet cable.

    So when I go to Start->Settings->Control Panel in WinXP,
    I can go to "Printers & Faxes->Add Printer", which takes me to
    the "Welcoem to the Add Printer Wizard".

    For the first time in my life, I check the "Network Printer"
    radio dial even though there is a note at the bottom saying:
    "To set up a network printer that is not attached to a print
    server, use the "Local printer" option".
    http://i43.tinypic.com/2w583fn.gif

    Hmmm... do I have a print server or not?

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  7. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Well, moving forward, blindly guessing, selecting this failed:
    (o)Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network
    URL = http://192.168.1.116

    The error was:
    Windows cannot connect to the printer...
    http://i44.tinypic.com/iqy6j8.gif

    So, I must not be specifying the printer address correctly.
    Or, it's the wrong button to check in the printer control panel applet.

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  8. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Going back to the web browser URL to the printer, after installing
    Java on WinXP, and, after agreeing to an ominous warning:
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2hdsgue.jpg

    I now see that the web browser communicates just fine
    with the printer.
    http://i43.tinypic.com/2eam1cz.jpg

    I think I'm close.

    I just don't know how to tell WinXP explicitly what the
    printer name is that is attached to the router.

    And, Windows XP doesn't know how to find that printer which
    is connected to the router by a similar wire that it is.

    I do have a Win7 machine handy on the same network (wirelessly
    though), so I'll see what the magic name might be from Windows 7
    standpoints.

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  9. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Pinging from Windows XP worked just fine:
    C:\> ping 192.168.1.116
    http://i43.tinypic.com/vqp7p3.gif

    I ran the ipconfig commands, but, they didn't really
    need to be run since the ping already found the printer.

    So, the printer (which is connected to the router), is clearly
    on the network.

    The trick is figuring out how to tell Windows XP that the
    printer is on the network.

    I'm also trying to set it up as a TCP/IP printer,
    whatever that is (in the Add New Printer Wizard):
    http://i43.tinypic.com/afijae.gif

    But, the problem is that there are so many wrong turns one
    can take that I must be taking them all because I don't
    know the proper sequence for setting up a networked printer.

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  10. Misha

    Misha Guest

    OK. I got it working by that method above.
    Here is the entire sequence, documented in screenshots:
    http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg

    Whew! That was *not* intuitive!

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  11. Misha

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    Windows have Help and Support built-in. Why not give a keyword like
    "how to add network printer on LAN?" and see what happens. You don't
    have to give the printer fixed IP, you can let the DHCP server on the
    router get one. Think networked printer. On linux, same thing. I have
    Canon MP990 WiFi connected to network on a router for various OS and
    all is working fine. Can you ping the printer? Can you do ipconfig /all
    and ipconfig /renew from XP machine?

    Tony Hwang, Sep 8, 2013
  12. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Well, if I had originally thought it was unintuitive getting
    Windows XP to print to a newly home-ethernetted HP 2100 TN printer,
    I spoke before I got Linux to print to the same printer (wirelessly):
    http://i41.tinypic.com/4vifwi.png

    Here's the sequence for Linux to get a printer hooked
    to a home broadband router:
    http://i42.tinypic.com/rjl37s.jpg

    Now, the WinXP machine, hard wired to the router, can print to the
    printer (also hard wired to the router); while the Linux laptop
    wirelessly connected to the router can also print to that networked
    printer.

    Success at last!
    Thanks for all your help!

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  13. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Just in case others need this, here is the sequence that finally worked
    to be able to print to a networked printer for my first time, using
    Windows XP and Linux (on deck is Windows 7 and Android).

    0. Connect HP 2100TN printer ethernet to your home broadband router.
    2. Configure Windows XP (also wired to the router) to print to it:
    http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg
    3. Configure Linux (wirelessly connected to the router) to print to it:
    http://i42.tinypic.com/rjl37s.jpg

    Since this was all hunt-and-peck, I post these to help others and for
    folks (who actually know what they're doing) to tell me whether I could
    have configured WinXP and Linux an easier way to print to a networked
    printer.

    Next on deck are Windows 7 and Android ...

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  14. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013

  15. Printer drivers are completely independent of Ethernet. They are the language of the
    printer and will allow the printer to properly render what is desired to be printed.

    PS = PostScript and will use an associated PPD file.
    PCL = Printer Control Language
    PCL5 = Printer Control Language version 5
    PCL6 = Printer Control Language version 6

    A HP printer may use an embedded or extenally attached JetDirect "Print Server".
    It will conform to Telnet (TCP port 23), HTTP (TCP port 80) and to TCP raw printing @ TCP
    port 9100

    Telnet and HTTP can be used to configure the HP JetDirect.

    External HP JetDirect Print Servers (Ex: 200m, 300x and 310x) have a "reset" button that
    will cause the JetDirect to reset it settings and it will then seek a new IP address via
    DHCP such as from a SOHO Router. Once the HP JetDirect gets an IP from a SOHO Router, one
    can query the Router's DHCP assignments and get the IP address that was assigned to the HP
    JetDirect.

    Printers with Internal JetDirects (Ex: 600n, 610n and 615n) can be setup by the printer
    using the buttons, menu and the printer's LCD display.

    Once the printer has a DHCP assigment you can use Telnet or HTTP to configure the printer
    such as for SNMP, Banner Page, Static or Dynamic IP, Access Lists or turn off un-needed
    protocols (Ex: DLC/LLC and IPX/SPX).
    NOTE: It is easier to work with HP JetDirects using a static IP address.

    Once the JetDirect is configured, you can setup a TCP/IP port Assignment to print to.

    Use of the HP Install Network Printer Wizard (INPW) software can help automate the
    process on Windows, including the setup of the JetDirect because it communicates with the
    JetDirect based upon the MAC address and all HP JetDirects use a standard MAC address
    preamble.

    David H. Lipman, Sep 8, 2013
  16. Misha

    SC Tom Guest

    This works with HP printers, but I couldn't get it to work with my
    neighbor's Brother:
    <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hp.android.print&hl=en>

    I use it on my Asus Memo to print to my HP with no problems.

    I haven't tried this yet, but might be worth a shot:
    <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.threebirds.easyviewer&hl=en>

    You also might try comp.mobile.android for other Android inquiries. It's a
    pretty decent group.

    SC Tom, Sep 8, 2013
  17. Misha

    Hot-Text Guest

    6. HP Printer Administrator Resource Kit<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Printer Driver are on the HP Printer Software
    just install it.......

    <
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...rodNameId=14918&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=25469 >

    Software - Universal Print Driver Description Current version Size (MB)HP Printer Administrator Resource Kit 1.7.3
    2 Aug 2013 16.9 56K: 41m
    512K: 4m

    Hot-Text, Sep 8, 2013
  18. Misha

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    You use Ubuntu? I use Ubuntu and Mist Linux. Ubuntu is good but they
    charge for some apps. My router is ASUS RT-AC66U, Synology NAS
    DS713+/DX213 combo. Network has Wired devices thru a GBe switch XP pro,
    W7 Ult., W8 Pro, Linux. Mac OS X sharing Canon MP990 WiFi printer. I
    monitor my PV solar panel array connected to the router as well.
    Coming winter project is adding WiFi video surv. cameras tothe NAS.

    Tony Hwang, Sep 8, 2013
  19. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Hmmmm..... there is no comp.mobile.android on my newsserver.

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  20. Misha

    Misha Guest

    I always wonder which is the one to use, since all of them work,
    and I have no need for more than one.

    Which would you use?

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013