What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

Discussion in 'HP' started by Misha, Sep 8, 2013.

  1. Misha

    Misha Guest

    I had not even thought of telnetting to the printer.

    Trying it out, I find it a bit cryptic.

    $ telnet 192.168.1.116
    Trying 192.168.1.116...
    Connected to 192.168.1.116.
    Escape character is '^]'.

    HP JetDirect

    Please type "?" for HELP, or "/" for current settings
    To Change/Configure Parameters Enter:
    Parameter-name: value <Carriage Return>

    Parameter-name Type of value
    ip: IP-address in dotted notation
    subnet-mask: address in dotted notation
    default-gw: address in dotted notation
    syslog-svr: address in dotted notation
    idle-timeout: seconds in integers
    set-cmnty-name: alpha-numeric string (32 chars max)
    host-name: alpha-numeric string (upper case only, 32 chars
    max)
    dhcp-config: 0 to disable, 1 to enable
    ipx/spx: 0 to disable, 1 to enable
    dlc/llc: 0 to disable, 1 to enable
    ethertalk: 0 to disable, 1 to enable
    banner: 0 to disable, 1 to enable

    Type passwd to change the password.

    Type "?" for HELP, "/" for current settings or "quit" to save-and-exit.
    Or type "exit" to exit without saving configuration parameter entries

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013

  2. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013

  3. Misha

    Misha Guest

    I had never heard of JetDirect until yesterday; so I'm still a novice.
    I "think" this printer has the server attached where the ethernet cord
    plugs into the side.
    Hmmm... I didn't "configure" JetDirect, so, I must be using whatever
    defaults my friend had previously set.

    I am a bit worried that the printer for both my friend and for me
    was at a seemingly static IP address of 192.168.1.116.

    Yet ...

    I have DHCP configured ... so I'm shocked that DHCP just happened to
    give the printer the *same* IP address it had at my friend's house.

    So, I'm a bit worried that the IP address configuration is not obvious
    to me. But if it works as it is, I'm ok with that. I hope.

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  4. Misha

    Misha Guest

    How can I tell if my JetDirect is using a STATIC or a DYNAMIC IP
    address anyway?

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  5. Misha

    Misha Guest

    I must admit, I was just shooting blindly, but, looking back, I never
    did "configure" the printer.

    All I did, in effect, was clumsily click on the operating system GUIs
    for configuring a networked printer.

    Reflecting back, this is what I did:

    1. I plugged the printer ethernet port into the router; nothing happened.

    2. Dumbfounded, I clicked around in Windows XP like a foraging ant
    searching for crumbs, and, at one point, the wizards favored me, and the
    printer showed up. http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg

    3. I then did the same for Windows 7, and again, the wizards eventually
    favored me for having clicked enough buttons.
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2hoba78.jpg

    4. I did the same for Linux, and yet again, the wizards allowed me to
    print. http://i40.tinypic.com/2r4ika8.jpg

    Point is, I never did 'configure' anything as I took all the defaults.

    I would never have known (especially on Linux) what to put in the fields
    anyway.

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  6. so have you discovered how to make the print darker?

    Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds, Sep 8, 2013
  7. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Nope.

    All I know, at the moment, is how to make the thing print. :)

    I never explicitly downloaded any drivers as I let the operating system
    figure all that out. I never changed anything from the default yet.

    I'm not even sure WHERE to go about looking to make the print darker,
    since the HP LaserJet 2100TN has only two buttons, and no display.

    I do have the user manual, so, I'll comb through that.
    http://tinyurl.com/qdfvjks

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  8. Misha

    Bob F Guest

    The printer is configured for that address, so it doesn't use DHCP to get one.

    Bob F, Sep 8, 2013
  9. I always shoot for PCL v6 and if I have a problem, I'll downgrade to PCL v5

    David H. Lipman, Sep 8, 2013
  10. In the Telnet session you can hit the key; "/" { no quotes } for current
    settings, and hit "?" top see a list of interpreted commands.

    For example the following line will disable IPX/SPX { you may not see what
    you type }

    ipx/spx: 0

    Success is shown by the showing of an additional ">" and then you can hit
    "/" to see that change was made.

    Typing "quit" will Save the configuration and close the Telnet session.

    A way to test printer communication is by a Telnet session to port 9100
    For example if the JetDirect IP is 192.168.1.3 you would type;

    telnet 192.168.1.3 9100

    That will open up a Telnet bsession with no feedback. just type anything
    and everting and include hitting the "Enter" key.

    When you close tghe Telnet session, whatever you type in the Telnet session
    will be printed by the printer. This is a good way to test the Print Server
    at a low level.

    David H. Lipman, Sep 8, 2013
  11. David H. Lipman, Sep 8, 2013
  12. That can be determined using Telnet or HTTP.

    telnet 192.168.1.16

    Hit the "/" key.

    If it shows "DHCP Config : Disabled"
    It is a static address.

    David H. Lipman, Sep 8, 2013
  13. Misha

    Misha Guest

    It seems Linux defaults to PostScript, and Windows defaulted (with my
    selection choice of the available drivers) to PCL v6.

    So far, it's working.

    Of course, I still have no idea how to make the print darker; but it
    appears to be dark enough for now.

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  14. Misha

    Misha Guest

    You're not kidding there's no feedback!
    I had to reboot the computer to kill the session!

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  15. Misha

    Misha Guest

    I see now that there is that one page, under Administration->Configuration
    where you *can* actually change things.
    http://i43.tinypic.com/2gxfeh2.png

    Which of those settings would be suggested to change though to make
    the print be darker or the network connection better?

    a. Protocol stacks?
    b. TCP/IP settings?
    c. IPX settings?
    d. Snmp settings?
    e. Internet printing? (whatever that is)

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  16. Misha

    Misha Guest

    I guess not using DHCP is OK with me (as long as it works).

    The funny thing is that the printer configuration pages all say that the
    printer *is* using DHCP:
    http://i43.tinypic.com/2gxfeh2.png

    But, it can't be using DHCP since it's always 192.168.1.116, which
    wouldn't happen if it *was* using DHCP.

    So, I'm confused ...

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  17. Have your News Reader (NNTP client) relist all the news groups on that news
    server and then find; comp.mobile.android

    It is available on GigaNews and NewsGuy.

    David H. Lipman, Sep 8, 2013
  18. Sure, they work. However it may not take full advantage of the printer's
    capabilities. I have managed manyh HP LJet 2100 and they are limited in
    capabilities so it isn't an issue with that printer.

    David H. Lipman, Sep 8, 2013
  19. Misha

    Misha Guest

    The funny thing is that the printer *appears* to have a static IP address
    of 192.168.1.116; yet, DHCP is clearly enabled as shown in the web browser
    pointing to http://192.168.1.116:
    http://i43.tinypic.com/2gxfeh2.png

    Your nice telnet suggestion above also confirms DHCP is enabled:
    $ telnet 192.168.1.116
    Trying 192.168.1.116...
    Connected to 192.168.1.116.
    Escape character is '^]'.

    HP JetDirect

    Please type "?" for HELP, or "/" for current settings
    ===JetDirect Telnet Configuration===
    Firmware Rev. : G.07.20
    MAC Address : 00:10:83:a0:bb:cd
    Config By : DHCP
    IP Address : 192.168.1.116
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1
    Syslog Server : Not Specified
    Idle Timeout : 90 Seconds
    Set Cmnty Name : Not Specified
    Host Name : NBIU830AC
    DHCP Config : Enabled
    Passwd : Disabled
    IPX/SPX : Disabled
    DLC/LLC : Enabled
    Ethertalk : Enabled
    Banner page : Enabled
    So, I'm confused why, if DHCP is operating, why the printer is always at
    the IP address 192.168.1.116, even when it was at my friend's house.

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  20. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Actually, while I downloaded the printer drivers from the HP web site,
    what is missing is how to set up the printer on the network.

    For that, I used the respective operating system wizards (WinXP, Win7,
    and Linux).

    Interestingly, each of these wizards obtained the HP drivers on their
    own, so, in the end, I never used the HP drivers that I had downloaded.

    I have no idea what the *practical* difference is between the drivers
    anyway (e.g., PCL5 vs PCL6 vs PS); but, all I know is that the printer
    appears to now be networked to all the devices except the Android
    cellphone.

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013