What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

Discussion in 'HP' started by Misha, Sep 8, 2013.

  1. According to that page, it is DHCP configured and thus a dynamic address
    assignment.

    David H. Lipman, Sep 8, 2013

  2. Yes, it can keep the same IP even if the end of the IP Lease whas been
    reached.

    David H. Lipman, Sep 8, 2013

  3. Misha

    Misha Guest

    OK. I found it!
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/comp.mobile.android

    It must be a new newsgroup, as I had searched in the past for an Android
    newsgroup.

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  4. Misha

    Misha Guest

    What's interesting is that it kept the same IP address from one house to
    another, under different networks (both using 191.168.1.1 as the gateway).

    Thanks David for your advice. I appreciate all your help!

    Misha, Sep 8, 2013
  5. "Config By : DHCP "

    I won't go into the DHCP protocol to explain why it will stay at
    192.168.1.16 for a lengthy period or how a new IP could eventaully be
    assigned (Leased) to it.

    BTW: That's a HP Jetdirect 600n and the last Firmware is Version = G.08.49
    Your Telnet session shows; "G.07.20" so it could be upgraded. However it
    isn't too important and you are just learning about HP JetDirect Print
    Servers.

    David H. Lipman, Sep 8, 2013
  6. David H. Lipman, Sep 8, 2013
  7. No problem. I have managed a few hundred HP Printers on HP JetDirect Print
    Servers.

    David H. Lipman, Sep 8, 2013
  8. Misha

    unruh Guest

    Sure it would. It will use the same address as before unless there is a
    reason not to (eg that address is in use by something else).

    unruh, Sep 9, 2013
  9. Misha

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    Practical wisdom is if all works the way you are satisfied. Leave it be.
    Reason to update driver or firmware is if want particular feature or
    improvement is needed according to the release note. So many folks just
    update for the sake of update's and getting into trouble. PCLs for PC,
    PS is for Mac(Apple).

    If you are curious, reboot the router and see if IP changes. Or you can
    assign fixed IP from router GUI or from printer set up. My WiFi printer
    and NAS are given fixed IP for the convenience.

    Under one submask you can have a range of IP(0 to 256) but if you don't
    have that many devices, limit it to like 0 to 20. No need to wasting
    time scanning all those unused IP addresses. My router has IP range of
    gateway one plus 15 which is enough for our home network.

    Tony Hwang, Sep 9, 2013
  10. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Heh heh. I've NEVER used Google Groups. I just used the Deja-News-like
    search engine to clarify that the suggested newsgroup existed (because
    when I updated my group list in my nntp client, that group still had
    not shown up).

    Once I confirmed that the group actually existed, I realized there
    was a problem with my nntp client group list.

    So, I manually deleted my nntp client & newsgroup files, and re-installed
    the nntp client and lo and behold, when I refreshed the group list,
    that suggested android group FINALLY showed up.

    I'm not sure WHY it didn't show up before. Maybe it's a new group?
    But, it seems active - which is all that matters.

    Thanks for that suggestion, and all your other explanations!

    Misha, Sep 9, 2013
  11. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Is the "JetDirect" print server this "box" sticking out the
    side of the printer?
    http://i40.tinypic.com/25r166w.gif

    Or is the JetDirect just firmware running on the motherboard?

    Misha, Sep 9, 2013
  12. Misha

    Aragorn Guest

    Yes, it is. It was created only a month, maybe two months ago.

    Aragorn, Sep 9, 2013
  13. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Ah. I see. I start at 192.168.1.2 and let DHCP assign the addresses.
    I don't have 16 PCs and phones, so, I guess there's nothing stopping
    the printer from keeping its old address (from another home) of
    192.168.1.16 then. Even with DHCP.

    Misha, Sep 9, 2013
  14. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Thanks for that foreknowledge.

    I'll probably keep the "JetDirect" at the current version unless I know
    of a reason to change it. I don't want to have to reconfigure the windows
    machines if I don't have to. I'm not sure what's transparent and what
    isn't, to the windows and Linux machines.

    BTW, I think "this" is the JetDirect box on the side of the printer:
    http://i40.tinypic.com/25r166w.gif

    Right?

    Misha, Sep 9, 2013
  15. Misha

    Misha Guest

    I can't count the number of times I've worried that I've bricked
    a device simply upgrading it to the latest firmware.

    So I don't disagree with you.

    Misha, Sep 9, 2013
  16. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Ah, that might explain it then.
    Thanks!

    Misha, Sep 9, 2013
  17. Misha

    Jasen Betts Guest

    Your linux method looks near optimal.

    Jasen Betts, Sep 9, 2013
  18. Misha

    Jasen Betts Guest

    to end a stuck telnet session: ctrl-] Q enter

    Jasen Betts, Sep 9, 2013

  19. Yes, inside that metal cage and under that plastic door.

    David H. Lipman, Sep 9, 2013
  20. Well I have upgraded hundreds of JetDirects with no sequalae. Either using HP Download
    Manager or via HP Web JetAdmin over TCP/IP or with the printer connected via USB or
    parallel port. I keep HP Download Manager on my notebook with all the JetDirect Firmware
    files so I can download the latest Firmware to client printers as needed.

    If the printer has power and you leave it alone for the time it takes to download the
    Firmware to the printer, it will work as expected.

    David H. Lipman, Sep 9, 2013