    LaserJet, DesignJet, etc.

    Shown below are the 610n and 615n. Yours is the 600n but is looks generally the same.
    http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk/other/JetDirect-6xx.jpg

    David H. Lipman, Sep 9, 2013

  2. Misha

    SC Tom Guest

    I'm showing posts as early as January 2013 on Eternal September, so it's
    been around for a few months anyhow.

    SC Tom, Sep 9, 2013

  3. My useless reply:

    I got a networked Epson printer, and its installation was effortless on
    W7 and Android.

    One penalty for that is that, unlike you, I had no chance to *learn*
    anything. I'm not kidding - I seriously feel that difficulties like
    yours are a way to learn.

    This reply is more meant to indicate that the situation varies for
    different manufacturers, in case anyone else wants to set up a networked
    printer.

    One disclaimer: I have no idea if other Epson printers install as
    easily. This one is an Expression Premium XP-800 all-in-one.

    Gene E. Bloch, Sep 9, 2013
  4. Misha

    Rick Jones Guest

    Yep. Unless/until it is powered-off long enough and Misha has 115 or
    so other devices request IP addresses of the DHCP server on his home
    gateway :)
    More or less luck that both you and your friend's home gateways
    defaulted to useing 192.168.1.0/16 as the default private IP address
    space for the home network. 192.168.1.0/16 is a fairly common
    convention among such devices, though one probably shouldn't come to
    depend on that.

    Likely as not, the printer "remembered" it had 192.168.1.116, and when
    it sent the DHCP request it, in essence, asked "May I still use this
    IP address?" and the DHCP server function said "Yes."

    While the odds of something else attaching to your network and getting
    192.168.1.116 as its IP address are probably pretty low, it might be a
    Good Idea (tm) to go into the configuration of your home gateway, and
    see where its dynamically assigned IP range ends and the static range
    begins. At some point you may need/want to configure the printer with
    a static IP, though that will require reconfiguring the machines
    you've already configured to print to it. If that day comes, altering
    the dynamic range so that 192.168.1.116 isn't in it, and statically
    configuring the printer to use 192.168.1.116 might be the way to go.

    rick jones
    despite my email address, I actually know very little about HP
    printers themselves...

    Rick Jones, Sep 9, 2013
  5. Misha

    Rick Jones Guest

    Or, perhaps, if the printer is reset to factory defaults.
    Make that 192.168.1.0/24 (probably). I've had a particular /16
    network on the brain for the last couple of days.

    rick jones

    Rick Jones, Sep 10, 2013
  6. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Thanks! Who would have known it's control Q and not control C or escape!

    Misha, Sep 13, 2013
  7. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Misha, Sep 13, 2013
  8. Misha

    unruh Guest

    It is not either. It is control ] followed by Q for Quit.
    control ]
    (that is hold down the control key while typing ]) puts telnet into
    command mode, and then the command is Q for quit.

    unruh, Sep 13, 2013
  9. YW

    David H. Lipman, Sep 13, 2013
  10. Misha

    Misha Guest

    Yikes. Even less intuitive. I'd better save that one in my command file!
    Thanks.

    Misha, Sep 13, 2013
  11. Misha

    unruh Guest

    Well since telnet tells you when it first connects how to go into
    command mode, it is not clear that "intuition" is needed.
    "Escape character is '^]'"
    is what telnet says once you connect.
    And then you have to remember Q for Quit.

    unruh, Sep 13, 2013
  12. Misha

    Jasen Betts Guest

    you don't even have to remeber that.
    after ^] press enter and you get a prompt

    telnet>

    type help and press enter again

    Jasen Betts, Sep 14, 2013