what's the use of two Asus groups???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Linea Recta, Jun 26, 2005.

  1. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    What's the use of having two newsgroups for Asus mainboards, except for
    additional confusion???

    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

    alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus

    I suppose the second is for people who own more than one Asus mainboard?

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl

    Linea Recta, Jun 26, 2005

  2. Linea Recta

    Benoit T Guest

    Linea Recta a écrit :
    Right. I stop posting on alt.comp.periph.mainboard.asus, as soon I got
    a second periph connected on my Asus Mainboard.

    I also don't use alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus, as this newsgroup is
    not relayed by my NTP server.

    Benoit T, Jun 26, 2005

  3. Linea Recta

    Nickeldome Guest

    I guess you have to do some more learning on what usenet stands for.
    What's the use of Usenet if you can't ?

    Nickeldome

    Nickeldome, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Linea Recta

    Paul Guest

    search term "rmgroup"...

    http://groups.google.ca/group/news...._frm/thread/b1f97c988d733e5d/dfd0939221a15f11

    "In the "Big Eight" hierarchies, the news.announce.newgroups
    moderator sends an rmgroup when a group has been removed by a
    vote, or when a group's moderator decides to close a group. In
    other hierarchies, the rules vary.  In alt, anyone can send
    rmgroups whenever he feels like it, just as he can send newgroups
    whenever he feels like it.  Whether anyone will pay any attention
    to them (and what kind of attention) is another matter."

    What that means, is when a mistake is made in the alt. hierarchy,
    the mistake lives forever.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    If I can't what??

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl

    Linea Recta, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Linea Recta

    Linea Recta Guest

    Wow... you mean they haven't created a technology yet for removing erroneous
    newsgroups?

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl

    Linea Recta, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Linea Recta

    Bill Guest

    The technology is there and has been around for a lomg time. Assholes
    abused it though so nobody honors rmgroup messages.

    Bill

    Bill, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Linea Recta

    OomBas Guest

    Oh, I interpreted it differently.
    No confusion on my side.
    Of course I own quite a lot of Asus mainboards and machines since I never
    quite understood the use of others.
    The first group, in my opinion, is for the 'running gag'.
    The "main board", so to say.
    Every once in a while I possess such a board.
    The second one, mainboards, refers to any Asus mainboard.

    OB

    OomBas, Jul 1, 2005
  9. I have no idea what you mean by "running gag", but there is one clear
    difference between the groups. The "mainboard" group is far more active. The
    "mainboards" group has not seen a new thread in almost a week.

    Peter van der Goes, Jul 1, 2005
  10. Linea Recta

    OomBas Guest

    "Running gag" means of course "the board to have".
    Like my P4C800 DeLuxe in one machine, a hot issue 2 years ago.
    It is still my "main board".
    Or the robust CUSL2-C in another.
    Now just one of my "mainboards"
    Ten years later we might speak with great emotion about "those happy days".
    The difference you mention can hardly have been the reason to start such a
    group.

    OB

    OomBas, Jul 7, 2005
  11. The clear difference in activity indicates this (the "mainboards") group
    should probably be done away with in favor of the other. I never said the
    difference I observed had anything to do with creation of a redundant group.
    The reason redundant alt groups come into existence is that there are no
    restrictions on, or required justification for such groups.

    Peter van der Goes, Jul 7, 2005