Whats this receptacle for on Notepad laptop

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Joseph Fenn, Oct 14, 2005.

  1. Joseph Fenn

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    I have figured out just about all the connectors and plugs on the back
    of my P4 Thinkpad except 1. If looking at the laptop from the back,
    the first receptacle on the right side is a 4 prong receptacle with a
    notch at the bottom. What the heck is that for. The 2nd receptacle
    of course is the usb port. the 3rd is a ugly looking thing with 10
    pins. Looks almost like dip switches but not. Weird looking.
    Then next to the is a "cat 5" plug. (Radio Shack says a cat 5
    connector is for use with DSL internet access only). then next to
    the cat 5 receptacle is the phone ling receptacle for dialup
    useing the internal modem. Then comes serial and parallel ports.
    Where in the heck is a "firewire" plug ??? Maybe this laptop dont
    even have a "fireplug", unless its the first item mentioned above at
    for right side next to the usb slot?

    Joe (new toys bring new sorrows)

    * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*
    * Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) *
    * Hi State ARMY MARS COORDINATOR *

    Joseph Fenn, Oct 14, 2005

  2. Sounds like a telephone jack socket (connecting to a winmodem output).
    Or it could be a sound output for loudspeakers. Hard to tell without a
    pcture!
    Sounds like maybe a video or firewire output. Your TP manual will tell
    you. Ditto the rest.

    Peter

    Peter T. Breuer, Oct 14, 2005

  3. William P. N. Smith, Oct 15, 2005
  4. Joseph Fenn

    Graeme Guest

    IBM / Lenovo will have a video explaining what each item is. Cant point
    you right to it as you havent given a model no. But you can start
    here:http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/home.do

    Graeme, Oct 16, 2005
  5. Joseph Fenn

    * * Chas Guest

    | I have figured out just about all the connectors and plugs on the back
    | of my P4 Thinkpad except 1. If looking at the laptop from the back,
    | the first receptacle on the right side is a 4 prong receptacle with a
    | notch at the bottom. What the heck is that for. The 2nd receptacle
    | of course is the usb port. the 3rd is a ugly looking thing with 10
    | pins. Looks almost like dip switches but not. Weird looking.
    | Then next to the is a "cat 5" plug. (Radio Shack says a cat 5
    | connector is for use with DSL internet access only). then next to
    | the cat 5 receptacle is the phone ling receptacle for dialup
    | useing the internal modem. Then comes serial and parallel ports.
    | Where in the heck is a "firewire" plug ??? Maybe this laptop dont
    | even have a "fireplug", unless its the first item mentioned above at
    | for right side next to the usb slot?

    First off, what model ThinkPad do you have? P4 is not a TP model number.
    The early ones used 24x, 3xx, 5xx, 600 & 7xx model numbers. After 2000
    they all started with a letter:
    A2x, T2x T3x, T4x, X2x, X3x, X4x, Rxx, and Gxx. There were also some
    retail models made by Acer: 11xx and so on.

    If you have the model number you may be able to find an interactive
    description of all of the features of you TP on the IBM/Lenovo web site.
    Also search:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad

    ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad News Group

    http://forum.thinkpads.com thinkpads.com Forum

    Chas.

    * * Chas, Oct 16, 2005
  6. Joseph Fenn

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    Ok tnx for the pointer. Its the Lenovo (IBM) P4 THINKPAD.

    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Oct 17, 2005