    antique version 1.1 USB port insted of the faster USB 2.0 port? Every USB
    peripheral you buy today on the market is 2.0 compliant. Did Tyan have a
    overstock of 1.1 chips needed to be used up? Wassup?

    Gyr, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Gyr

    Rob Stow Guest

    The S288x boards use an AMD chipset that only supports USB 1.1.
    For a while that was the only Opteron chipset on the market.

    I simply added a PCI card with a couple of USB 2.0 ports and an
    IEEE1394b port to every S2885 system I built.

    Rob Stow, Jul 7, 2005

  3. Gyr

    Gyr Guest

    Thanks, I had no idea that this was the case. The K8W only has one 32 bit
    PCI slot (occupied), and 4 PCI-X 64 bit slots open. Can I get such a card in
    a PCI-X version? Thanks again for the information.

    Gyr, Jul 8, 2005
  4. Gyr

    Rob Stow Guest

    I doubt anyone would bother making such a card, but I have had no
    problems with ordinary PCI cards in a couple of the PCI-X slots.

    There is a jumper on the motherboard that lets you put two of the
    PCI-X slots into "PCI Compatibility Mode". I think it is J39 but
    you really should check your own manual rather than trusting my
    memory - it has been about 4 months since I've dealt with an
    S2885. After closing that jumper, slots 3 and 4 can be used by
    32 bit/33 MHz/5 Volt PCI cards.

    Rob Stow, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Gyr

    Mat f Guest

    You're right, jumper 39 is the one. I found a PCI-X card for this purpose
    and it's twice as expensive than a standard PCI card:

    http://www.provantage.com/buy-7sifw...-pci-host-adapter-siig-nn-8us212-shopping.htm

    Mat f, Jul 9, 2005