What's wrong with Acer's BIOS ?

Discussion in 'Acer' started by penang, May 7, 2007.

  1. penang

    penang Guest

    Make: Acer
    Model: Power SN, circa 1998
    BIOS Version: 3.2
    SMBios version: 2.1

    Just updated the above machine from 192MB to 256MB, and when I reboot
    it, the BIOS suddenly decided to play blind.

    I had not done anything to the hard disk, nor the CDROM, but now,
    according to the BIOS, they do NOT exist !

    So I went back to the memory, downgrade it back to 192MB, with the
    original memory modules.... Still... the bios plays blind !

    HELP !

    How to make the bios detect the drives ? I even tried it manually, but
    all I got is the following:

    "IDE Primary Channel Master Drive Error"
    "Equipment COnfiguration Error"

    In other words, the BIOS only see the floppy drive, and nothing else !

    PLEASE HELP !

    Thanks in advance !!

    penang, May 7, 2007

  2. penang

    Vanguard Guest

    penang wrote in message

    So did you actually go back inside the box to check if you yanked on the
    cables and need to reseat them? Did you reconnect them backwards?

    Have you tried clearing the CMOS yet?

    Next time take anti-static precautions. Just because you don't hear a
    snap noise doesn't mean you didn't zap the parts with high enough
    voltage.

    Vanguard, May 7, 2007

  3. penang

    penang Guest

    How to "clear the CMOS" ?

    penang, May 17, 2007
  4. penang

    Noozer Guest

    Did you remove power from the power supply?

    If the computer is only shut down and still plugged in, there is a good
    chance that there is still power on the mainboard and you can do damage
    installed parts where there is power.

    Noozer, May 17, 2007
  5. penang

    Pen Guest

    Press cntrl-alt-esc while the system is first booting up. Then check
    the settings.

    Pen, May 17, 2007