Whats wrong with GW tech support anyway?

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Postman delivers, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. I have a Gateway select 1000 pc, bought direct from gateway 4 yrs ago. I
    Paul,

    If you have all the back-up disks that came with your computer
    originally, and the installation disks of the software & various
    upgrade files for the installed software it seems to me you could
    back-up your data and make the upgrade to XP. Then if it does not
    work, you would have the means to format and put your computer back
    into its current ME configuration.

    I think Ghost is to expensive for a one time use, but this would be the
    perfect use for the software. An easy way to backup your hard drive,
    for a easy recovery to your current ME configuration if you every
    needed to return your computer its current configuration.

    I should think it you should able to do a clean install using a
    purchased XP Disk. But maybe a clean install is not what you want.

    Time and again I see the select model with both the XP home or XP pro
    addition listed for sale on e-Bay.

    Currently there is a select 700 listed with XP home installed.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Gateway-Select-...ryZ51121QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    I certainly agree with your comments about the the current state of
    gateway support, they have no Idea. As you discovered gateway support
    is not what it was when you purchased your computer...

    But Dell support is a time waste of time in comparison to gateway. I
    have had several situations lately and would love to meet the several
    of their support tech, including their superviors in a dark ally to
    secure some sadifaction.

    Postman delivers, Nov 16, 2005

  2. Boostm3,

    I forgot to include, I am not a violent person, unless severely
    provoked by stubborn uncaring sub-human attitude in a confrontation.
    It has been years, since I have became this angry towards anyone,
    company or situation.

    I solved the situation, by very calmly taking two dell computers from
    my workbench into my front yard, and completely destroyed them with my
    neighbors 10 pound sledge. I did this to know that I have taken Dell
    product from circulation, and the possibility this company might
    trouble someone else with these computers. I will never repair, or
    suggest anyone use or purchase a Dell product in the future.

    In the last several years I have reconditioned and repaired 40 + used
    Dell computers, and put them into the hands of school children not in a
    situation to have a computer of their own, but I will never place a
    Dell product again in my lifetime.

    JR the postman

    Postman delivers, Nov 16, 2005

  3. Postman delivers

    Boostm3 Guest

    I have a Gateway select 1000 pc, bought direct from gateway 4 yrs ago. I
    just sent tech support an email, asking them if my pc will support an
    upgrade from my current ME which came with the system, to XP. And the
    emails I got back are both confusing, and annoying. Follow along. Heres
    the first response from GW tech support:

    " Regarding your inquiry if you can upgrade
    your computer to Windows XP, our records show that your motherboard does
    not support Windows XP. This could mean lack of drivers and other
    incompatibilities. "

    To this, I wrote back,

    "So, youre telling me that, If I want to play a game like Doom3, which
    requires Windows XP, I would need to buy a new computer, since the
    motherboard in the computer you sold me 4 yrs ago cannot support it.. Is
    that about right?"

    To which they replied,

    "You won't need to purchase a new computer,
    Paul. As I have said, you can still choose to upgrade to Windows XP.
    We just want to remind you that Gateway makes no guarantees about the
    computer's compatibility with operating systems that were not sold with
    the computer. It is still up to you if you want to upgrade."

    I have a BIG problem with this so called 'support'. Im not talking about
    some Fringe operating system here.. They cannot tell me that no tech
    engineer has ever installed or tried to install XP onto a pc with my
    Motherboard. They flat out tell me, "our records show that your motherboard
    does not support Windows XP". Ok, fine.. But, when I ask if that means I
    need to buy a new pc in order to run XP, they say, "You won't need to
    purchase a new computer". If this isnt verbal diahrea, I dont know what
    is.. Dont we have a right to be able to expect more Support from GW Tech
    Support dept than this garbled, useless response from them? Based on these
    answers, I have no idea whether i can upgrade or not. .All I know is that If
    I buy it from them, and it doesnt work, im out of luck.. Gee, GW, thanks
    alot... Sure are helpful, arent they? Any wonder why people prefer Dell? IM
    not trying to be a wiseguy here.. But iVe been buying gateway for something
    like 15 years now, but iM afraid this kind of treatment is the last straw.
    Wouldnt this kind of treatment infuriate any thinking customer?

    Paul E

    Boostm3, Nov 16, 2005
  4. Postman delivers

    Mortimer Guest

    Hehe, they are just trying to get around having to admit that they don't
    upgrade their drivers. As for your specific issue, you'll probably be
    able to upgrade to WinXP. Most of the drivers you'll need will probably
    on the WinXP disk. However, I don't think the Select 1000 is anywhere
    near the minimum requirement for Doom3. What you got there is a Quake2
    machine :)

    Mort

    Mortimer, Nov 16, 2005
  5. Postman delivers

    Boostm3 Guest

    Yea, I hear you.. But, I have just ordered an FX5200 Video card and a new
    DEll 19" LCD monitor. Wouldnt this video card, which has both 128mb, and
    128 bit bus width be enough to run it? The pc itself runs at 1 ghz, but
    combined with the video card, I was thinking it would be sufficient. Im not
    a big game player, and I know my pc is not up to the fastest of the newest
    games, but I thought Doom3 would run... As for Doom2, hell, they say that
    will run on machines a generation behind mine. id site says: 486 processor
    operating at a minimum of 66MHz !! For Doom3, it says, "Pentium®IV 1.5 GHz
    or Athlon® XP 1500+ processoror higher
    384MB RAM " I have enough ram, but at 1 ghz, iM a little too slow I guess.
    Good thing Im not a game player.. Well, at least I can watch movies on my
    pc.. When Im too slow for that, thats when Ill have to upgrade.. At least,
    my new FX5200 on order and lcd 19" monitor should help in That endeavor at
    least..

    Boostm3, Nov 16, 2005
  6. Postman delivers

    Smith Guest

    Ouch. I heard the FX5200 isn't very good for Doom3...you might have major
    FPS issues there. Back when the Doom3 Beta leaked I played it on my P4 1.4,
    768mb ram with a GeForce4 128mb card (one step below the FX5200). I had to
    alter the config file quite a bit to get it to run (had it operating at
    around 35fps low action screens), it still lagged if I went to fast and ran
    into graphic intense areas. By the time Doom3 officially came out I had
    purchased a FX5900SE which played the game excellent. You might want to
    consider that card instead (or anything better than the 5200), especially
    since your processor doesn't meet specs by so much.

    Smith, Nov 17, 2005
  7. Postman delivers

    Smith Guest

    And oh yeah, I bought my Gateway about 4.5 years ago and I upgraded to XP
    (with XP Upgrade not full version) from Windows ME with no trouble, you'll
    be fine.

    Smith, Nov 17, 2005
  8. Paul;
    It is not "so called 'support'", it is reality with a different OS.
    There is no support at all with a different OS.
    You would probably get a similar answer from Dell or any other major OEM.
    Few if any major OEMs support any OS different from what was originally
    installed.

    Try swapping a different hard drive and check compatibility after installing
    Windows XP.
    If your hardware and software is compatible with Windows XP, you can
    continue.
    If not, you have lost nothing since you still have the original installation
    intact on the original hard drive.
    Windows XP works on a G6-366, about a year or so older than yours so XP
    should work OK on your computer.
    You may need a BIOS upgrade as well as the latest drivers available.

    Jupiter Jones, Nov 17, 2005
  9. Make sure you have at least 512mb of memory prior to installing XP - some of
    the earlier computers came out with no more than 128mb and under those
    conditions the system runs about as fast as molasses on a cold January
    morning.

    Tom Clydesdale, Nov 17, 2005
  10. Postman delivers

    Boostm3 Guest

    Well, like I said, I wasnt looking for a guarantee.. But if you read what i
    wrote, then youll see that the same person wrote that 'my motherboard will
    not support xp,' and then in his next response, 'you dont need to buy a new
    pc to run xp'... Hello??? As I said, I was looking for some technical
    Advice.... like, you know perfectly well they have installed xp on my pc,
    and know damn well what the odds are that it will run, and what min memory I
    would need, and whether my apps would run on xp, or those would be needed to
    be upgraded.... You know.. stuff like that.. Thats what tech support is..
    Othewise, just hire monkeys to say, 'we dont guarantee any os not shipped on
    your pc'. Yup, that might be true, but they Could be an awful lot more
    helpful than that if they tried. Proof is that, later on, after I pressed
    them, they would up admitting odds are it would run fine.. This, after they
    stated point blank my motherboard did not support xp.!! Thats not good.. So
    yea,.. for that, I call it 'so called tech support'.

    Boostm3, Nov 17, 2005
  11. You want more from tech support than most OEMs are willing to give.
    "you know perfectly well they have installed XP on my pc"
    I know nothing of the kind, if you do, please cite your source.

    With a different OS, you are clearly past the support limits and thus you
    have already received all you are entitled.
    You either need to try as I suggested or search out others that have
    attempted to install Windows XP on the same computer.

    Most OEMs can not and will not make the commitment you want because the next
    step would be people insisting for support for the configuration they had
    already stated works.

    You are clearly on your own by the rules of any major OEM and it is time for
    you to acknowledge that and move on accordingly.

    Jupiter Jones, Nov 17, 2005
  12. Postman delivers

    Ed Guest

    There is no such animal as Gateway Support. Just like the fact that
    Gateway doesn't build much less assemble computers. Gateway is
    nothing more than a Marketing and Sales firm that has their name
    slapped on junk computers slopped together in Taiwan.

    The person you were talking to was some idiot from some third world
    country where these Marketing and Sales firms outsource their problems
    to. Probably the person you talked to shells out canned computer
    generated responses to questions covering not only Marketing and Sales
    firms like gateway, Dell, HP and Compaq but also butter ball turkeys,
    Trojan condoms and exlax and acme brand dildos of which he knows
    nothing more about than he knows about computers.
    Just another Marketing and Sales firm that paints their name on trash
    slopped together out of Taiwan.

    You need to get into white boxes where your box is assembled by a
    local builder that will also be the same person that supports it IN
    YOUR LANGUAGE!
    15 years ago, Gateway was a computer company instead of a Marketing
    and Sales firm only like it is today. Today, they wouldn't know a
    computer is one jumped up and bit them in their arse. The days of a
    Gateway Computer Company are long gone......

    WHITE BOX = Local Support = In Your Language

    Ed, Nov 17, 2005
  13. Postman delivers

    Boostm3 Guest

    Most OEMs can not and will not make the commitment you want because the
    next
    step would be people insisting for support for the configuration they had
    already stated works.
    <<

    Try to be more of a human being, and less of a loophole lawyer.

    Boostm3, Nov 17, 2005
  14. Postman delivers

    Boostm3 Guest

    No Jupe.. What I want is for tech support to not make flat out contradictory
    statements. . First, 'your motherboard wont support it', and then, ' it
    probably will' Thats just rotten support, call it whatever you want.
    Sheez, Jupe, almost sounds like youre a professional apologist for
    confusing, and downright piss poor help departments... Good thing Youre not
    in charge of support shops.. Or, maybe you are, and thats why we have morons
    contradicting themselves just like above.

    Boostm3, Nov 17, 2005
  15. No loophole at all.
    JJ,

    I think you are way off lost someplace in right field!

    He is not asking Gateway for support after his XP installation, he was
    asking if the computer was capable of supporting an upgrade to the XP
    operating system.

    That question is an Entirely different situation than what you are
    determined to force into Boostm3 mind. He like many others consumers
    ask general questions because there is no FAQ posted on most computer
    manufactures websites about upgrading the operating system.

    In my opinion the answer he received should have directed him to a
    competent repair facility that Gateway trusts or uses to provide
    service when Gateway's warranty coverage expires. If his warranty was
    still in effect then they should have provided a competent response
    instead of conflicting statements.

    From his serial number gateway knew he was without warranty, and
    support might have pointed him to a FAQ about Gateway Computer
    operating system upgrades. All computer companies get these questions
    from consumers with or without warranty coverage. I am certain Gateway
    was flooded with these inquires when XP was released. In the near
    future many similar questions are going to appear when Microsoft's
    Longhorn/Vista is released.

    If you Google or Yahoo "Gateway select 1000 to XP," some websites links
    appear that have similar help questions, and answers that would have
    been helpful to Boostm3 but many listing were unrelated web links, or
    bad information.

    Not trying to anger you, but Boostm3 was a consumer of a Gateway
    product, and should have been give helpful information so he would
    purchase from them again, instead of misinformation that might alienate
    him as future customer. Your last posting of information is the
    perfect example of anti customer rhetoric that is troubling many US
    companies.

    Most bean counter discoverd a long time ago, it is cheaper to keep a
    customer that it is to go find a new customer. Yet, in America for one
    reason or another, upper management hires mid management that
    subscribes to fad of destroying long term profits, for instant
    gradification of short term stock price gains.

    Upper management sallries are based on today instead of any faxcimility
    of long term stability. since the large stockholders are money managers
    that only want immediate stock price gains.

    JR the postman

    Postman delivers, Nov 17, 2005
  16. No loophole at all.
    JJ,

    I think you are way off lost someplace in right field!

    He is not asking Gateway for support after his XP installation, he was
    asking if the computer was capable of supporting an upgrade to the XP
    operating system.

    That question is an Entirely different situation than what you are
    determined to force into Boostm3 mind. He like many others consumers
    ask general questions because there is no FAQ posted on most computer
    manufactures websites about upgrading the operating system.

    In my opinion the answer he received should have been directed him to a
    competent repair facility that Gateway trusts or uses to provide
    service when Gateway's warranty coverage expires. If his warranty was
    still in effect then they should have provided a competent response
    instead of conflicting statements.

    From his serial number Gateway knew he was without warranty, and
    support might have pointed him to a FAQ about Gateway Computer
    operating system upgrades. All computer companies get these questions
    from consumers with or without warranty coverage. I am certain Gateway
    was flooded with these inquires when XP was released. In the near
    future many similar questions are going to appear when Microsoft's
    Longhorn/Vista is released.

    Not trying to anger you, but Boostm3 was a consumer of a Gateway
    product, and should have been give helpful information so he would
    purchase from them again, instead of misinformation that might alienate
    him as future customer. Your last posting of information is the
    perfect example of anti customer rhetoric that is troubling many US
    companies.

    Most bean counter discovered a long time ago, it is cheaper to keep a
    customer that it is to go find a new customer. Yet, in America for one
    reason or another, upper management hires mid management that
    subscribes to the fad of destroying long term profits, for the instant
    gratification of short term stock price gains.

    Upper management salaries are based on current stock price instead of
    any facsimile of long term stability. Since the largest stockholders
    are money managers, and their salaries are based on today's profit.
    Company stability in America has been cast aside for immediate stock
    price gains.

    JR the postman

    Postman delivers, Nov 17, 2005
  17. No loophole at all.
    Read your warranty.
    It is there for you to see.

    Unless Gateway shipped your exact model with Windows XP, the official answer
    from Gateway will not be definitive since it is not supported.
    You are asking for more and you will not get more from them or any other
    major OEM for the reasons previously mentioned as well as others.

    What response have you gotten from the other OEMs that makes you think
    Gateway is different?
    What happened when you tried installing as was previously suggested?
    Did you update drivers , BIOS etc as already suggested?
    If you tried, you would have had the answer for your upgraded computer which
    would be more reliable than Gateway could do with their stock computer.
    You are carrying on for 2 days what you could have easily resolved in a few
    hours if you wanted the most reliable and quickest solution for your
    computer with your upgrades.

    Your need to insult is more indicative of you than it is of those you
    insult.
    If you need to insult, you may as well go elsewhere since most have better
    things to do than waste time with those needing to insult instead of resolve
    issues.

    Jupiter Jones, Nov 17, 2005
  18. No loophole at all.
    Read your warranty.
    It is there for you to see.

    Unless Gateway shipped your exact model with Windows XP, the official answer
    from Gateway will not be definitive since it is not supported.
    You are asking for more and you will not get more from them or any other
    major OEM for the reasons previously mentioned as well as others.

    What response have you gotten from the other OEMs that makes you think
    Gateway is different?
    What happened when you tried installing as was previously suggested?
    Did you update drivers , BIOS etc as already suggested?
    If you tried, you would have had the answer for your upgraded computer which
    would be more reliable than Gateway could do with their stock computer.
    You are carrying on for 2 days what you could have easily resolved in a few
    hours if you wanted the best and quickest solution.

    Jupiter Jones, Nov 17, 2005
  19. Postman delivers

    Smith Guest

    I think you are way off lost someplace in right field!
    There is an FAQ.
    http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/Upgrade/102007faq36.shtml I
    simply went to the Gateway website looked up "Select 1000" chose the P3 1000
    motherboard document and clicked FAQs. I'm sure his serial number would
    have been a quicker route. That is the one thing I love about Gateway tech
    support, the serial number and excellent website support documents. Since
    they seem to have such a document on their site they should have pointed him
    to it, that was poor e-mail support on their part. However, their response
    otherwise I feel was accurate. As they state "Gateway neither warrants
    installation nor supports drivers outside the Gateway site." From their
    initial response the tech said "our records show that your motherboard does
    not support Windows XP. This could mean lack of drivers and other
    incompatibilities." This guy apparently has a machine that Gateway does not
    provide certain XP drivers for (maybe video, maybe sound, who knows, it's
    something). Hence, they can't tell him it'll work because with the driver
    support they provide (which are the only drivers covered under warranty) it
    will not work.

    Smith, Nov 18, 2005
  20. Postman delivers

    Boostm3 Guest

    I agree 1000 percent. I have a masters in CS, but I got that about 15 yrs
    ago, and times have changed.. OH have they changed... Doesnt help me much in
    dealing with gateway.

    Boostm3, Nov 18, 2005