    their equipments, is it possible for us to get the dynamic IP address
    of the client and the server from the routers?
    Thanks!

    like2learn, Oct 1, 2010

  2. like2learn

    D Yuniskis Guest

    D Yuniskis, Oct 1, 2010

  3. like2learn

    Tauno Voipio Guest

    You need a dynamic DNS name for the server and such clients that
    they obtain a DNS server address with DHCP. In this combination
    the clients are able to open the connections using the DNS name
    of the server.

    Zeroconf/Bonjour/Avahi is not the solution here, it is specified
    to work in a local network only.

    Tauno Voipio, Oct 1, 2010
  4. like2learn

    like2learn Guest

    Really? Zeroconf/Bonjour/Avahi is not the solution here, and it is
    specified to work in a local network only? Could you please show me a
    few more detail?

    I once thought it was the only solution to my problem.

    Thank you!

    like2learn, Oct 1, 2010
  5. like2learn

    like2learn Guest

    So we can get the dynamic IP address
    of the client and the server from the routers, right?
    What is the backup solution if the router doesn't support dynDNS?
    Thank you!

    like2learn, Oct 1, 2010
  6. like2learn

    Tauno Voipio Guest

    You can start with this:

    <http://www.zeroconf.org/>.

    Tauno Voipio, Oct 1, 2010
  7. like2learn

    like2learn Guest

    I think zeroconf is only for local network, right? My application
    actually involves WANs.
    Thank you!

    like2learn, Oct 1, 2010
  8. like2learn

    Tauno Voipio Guest

    That's right. The address block 169.254.0.0/16 is reserved for
    local-link use, i.e. zeroconf (or whatever trade name there is).

    Zeroconf does not cross routers unless they are broken.
    To access the outside Net, the router must NAT a zeroconf addreess.

    Tauno Voipio, Oct 2, 2010
  9. like2learn

    like2learn Guest

    Thank you for confirming it!