When I boot up my computer nothing shows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blin, May 14, 2004.

  1. Blin

    Blin Guest

    First off, my computer has the following parts (nothing that fancy,
    just some pretty cheap and decent)

    P4 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB 512K Cache HT
    ASRock P4S55FX SiS655FX Chipset
    CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR
    2x512MB (total of one gig) Corsair DDR400
    Seagate 200GB 8MB Cache ATA100
    Some random CD-RW and Floppy
    And a would be Windows XP home if I ever got that far

    I recently good all the parts for a computer I am making. So I put
    everything together nice and carefully according to the various
    manuals. Everything seemed like it was going fine.

    However, when I tried booting my computer for the first time nothing
    showed on the screen. The fans turned on (the power lights went on,
    plus some extra case light) but nothing on the screen, no beeps from
    the speakers, no BIOS nothing besides the fans and lights.

    So I said to myself, probably just the video card not pushed in all
    the way. So I took it out, put it back in again and made sure it was
    in all the way... No luck.

    Well I tried various other things, swaping videocards with some of my
    other computers, moving the RAM into different slots.

    Well nothing worked (of course, if it did I wouldn't posting here). In
    fact, things seemed to get a little worse. Sometimes when I started
    the computer up, the red hard drive LED would be the only one on, and
    the normal sounds of the things starting up did go. So it was just the
    cpu and case fan making noise, nothing else.

    After trying even more things, I can't get the any LED to go on.

    Oddly (and I don't know what the implications of this is) when I
    disconnect the hard drive from the motherboard and start up the
    computer again. It makes some different noises (can't identify where
    they come from, I think it is the hard drive), the noises sound like a
    correct bootup. But once again, nothing shows.

    So if anyone has any suggestions, or anything at all. Please respond
    (even if it is something simple, I may have overlooked it).

    Thanks a lot, I hope I get it working soon (it will save me from a
    bunch of headaches if I get this done soon)

    Blin, May 14, 2004

  2. Blin

    Jeff Guest

    I have found that if the CPU is not set correct or the CPU is bad the
    lights wil come on and everything seems to be working but the Brain is
    out. Check the CPU again to make sure there is no bent pins and that
    it is set in the slot right. If everything is set correct and the
    system still will not startup try the CPU in another working computer.

    Jeff, May 16, 2004

  3. Hi there,
    To solve these kindaa of problem one has to look the machince
    inpersonal.
    I would like u to perform following few stpes.

    1. Take out all the hardware cpmponents, like RAM, Hardisk Conecter.
    Everything except CPU and CPU Fan, thenput back the machine on and
    then look for the beep. If this wont result in beep then check the
    Speaker Connector.
    IF u hear the Beep and then connect all the devices one by one and
    look for the culprit device.

    2. Also while connecting harddisk, Make sure to connect the cable in
    correct manner.

    Hope this will help u

    Do reply for urs comments

    Dakshdeep Singh

    Dakshdeep Singh, May 18, 2004
  4. Blin

    Seebie Guest

    You're not supposed to have your graphics card in your computer when
    you first boot it up. I think you only have your hard drive, cd-rom
    drive. maybe not even the cd-rom drive. but that's about it. floppy
    won't hurt to have on there either. you may have fried your crap up.

    Cheers

    Seebie, May 19, 2004
  5. Blin

    jamotto Guest

    Why, might I ask would you want to do that?
    All you need to start the computer is graphics card, memory and a
    keyboard. A floppy drive is the min. for loading a O/S.

    jamotto, May 20, 2004
  6. Blin

    jamotto Guest

    You don't mention what kind of Power Supply unit you are using it may
    not be of good quality(Antec and Sparkle make good PSU) or it just
    can't provide enough power to run the system.

    Also there are two power connectors for this motherboard the typical
    20pin ATX power connector and the 4pin ATX12V connector. You need
    both.

    There might also be short between the case and the motherboard. Make
    sure you have the O-rings/washers in place.

    hope this helps

    jamotto, May 20, 2004