When i put sound blaster live in computer computer boots and no screen HELP!!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Bartmank11, May 3, 2007.

  1. Bartmank11

    Bartmank11 Guest

    Hey i got a ct4780 sound blaster live sound card from friend of mine
    when i put it in my
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:31&Item=6878499126

    GigaByte GA-6BXC slot-1 motherboard with Tualatin BIOS
    Intel Tualatin Celeron 1.2GHz Socket-370 CPU with Tualatin-Slot1
    adapter assembly

    now when i plug the card in my computer it boots but no picture and i
    think it makes it past Bios cause when i hit power button it doesnt
    shutoff right away when i take it out of PCI slot it boots and works
    great any ideas this is a nice card and id like to use it

    Thanks

    Kenneth Densmore

    Bartmank11, May 3, 2007

  2. Bartmank11

    S.Lewis Guest

    Real simple, sir. Try other slots, move around other cards to do so. If
    the system still won't POST, then the card is incompatible (with the board
    or other cards) or more likely bad for some reason.

    There's nothing special about that card PCI-wise. It's about as mainstream
    as it gets unless you attempt to connect it to a front bezel audio jack.

    Check for bent pins in the PCI slots also, or any screws/tabs under the
    system board in the case (not likely but possible).

    Stew

    S.Lewis, May 3, 2007

  3. Bartmank11

    Bartmank11 Guest

    Thanks for the advice but i doubt there is anything wrong with the PCI
    slot seeing as the sound card in there i am replacing works fine.....

    And then i try the new one again and boot's but no screen and i assume
    it goes past the BIOS seeing as usually if its still in BIOS and i hit
    power it usually goes off right away

    PLEASE any other suggestions on this at all remember i am not a novice
    here I build computers and such but never had such a prob with the
    sound card like this .......

    Stew i listed the manuel for the board in my post did you see if there
    was anything that
    would seem incompatible with it ???

    It just doesn't make sense to me a computer wont boot properly due to
    a sound card change matter how good it is

    THANK YOU TO ANYBODY THAT POSTS HELP I REALLY AM THANKFUL !!

    Bartmank11, May 4, 2007
  4. Bartmank11

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Bart, wasn't implying that you were/are a novice. I was simply trying to
    cover all scenarios.

    Again, there is nothing special about this card. I own (3) of them. I've
    used them in everything from Dell PIII 440BX boards to a homebuilt P4 SiS
    655 FX chipset system.

    If there's not a power cable pinched in the chassis cover, if there's not a
    screw or tab under the board causing the no POST when the slot is populated,
    if the machine is no POST with ONLY that card in ANY PCI slot, then the card
    is almost surely bad, damaged, or incompatible imo.

    If you've personally seen the card work in another system, then there's some
    reason it is incompatible.

    Other than that, I got nuthin'. Oh, and the cards are inexpensive. If
    you've not seen this one work, buy another one or something else.

    Good luck.

    S.Lewis, May 4, 2007
  5. Bartmank11

    Journey Guest

    If you can't get it to work, here's a product that I like.

    Creative Labs USB SoundBlaster Live! 24-Bit External Sound Card:

    http://tinyurl.com/2ukf6j

    I used it with my E510 for a while, and now use it with my XPS 410.

    Interestingly enough, the Creative Equalizer and other Creative
    software still works on my E510 even though I no longer use the
    external sound card there.

    Journey, May 4, 2007