    O/S? Not sure if there are identifiers in a particular mobo that the O/S
    needs to "see".

    Thanks.

    Doc, Jun 13, 2006

  2. Probably not. If Windows complains, then do a repair installation, not a
    complete reinstall.

    Michael A. Covington, Jun 13, 2006

  3. Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

    :

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Jun 13, 2006
  4. Doc

    Ben Myers Guest

    If you are installing a motherboard IDENTICAL to the one it is replacing, the
    odds of Windows and billg complaining are almost nil. I've done a lot of
    repairs of Dell computers, in particular, with motherboard swaps and not yet
    encountered a problem.

    If the processor speed and BIOS revision are the same between the two boards,
    Windows does not see any difference. In practice with a Compaq or Dell or
    Intel-made or IBM motherboard, the only difference between two boards at the
    BIOS level is the motherboard serial number (Dell service tag) burned into the
    BIOS. With a Compaq motherboard, the BIOS setup allows you to change the
    motherboard serial number. With a Dell motherboard, you need to run a small
    utility program to change the service tag. Once the serial numbers are
    identical between old and new motherboards, who's to know the difference.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 13, 2006
  5. How does one get that utility?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Jun 13, 2006

  6. Putting a post on usenet, theoretically identical to a few hundred
    other posts about replacing a motherboard, will you have to repost the
    question or will you learn to use a search engine?

    Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish;
    and you have fed him for a lifetime. You will learn to fish

    mindless_drone, Jun 13, 2006
  7. Doc

    Pen Guest

    "Timothy Daniels"
    message
    In the group alt.sys.pc-clone.dell find
    *change service tag -- notan ??? *
    read the entire thread.

    Pen, Jun 13, 2006
  8. Doc

    Doc Guest

    kony old boy! NNTP-Posting-Host: 74.129.166.247

    Playing with your sockpuppets today?

    Doc, Jun 13, 2006
  9. Doc

    Ben Myers Guest

    asset.com at the Dell ftp site. Runs as a DOS command line program, with the
    usual command line help... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 13, 2006
  10. <LOL> Old KoRny has keyboard diarhea. He can't control his
    spewing and pontificating. He really NEEDS to get a life.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Jun 13, 2006
  11. So this is why you still can't use a search engine as well as any 10
    year old child?

    mindless_drone, Jun 13, 2006
  12. Tim, I am shocked how much you think about feces. Change your shorts.

    mindless_drone, Jun 13, 2006
  13. Doc

    Doc Guest

    Doc, Jun 13, 2006

  14. I can't. You, "kony", and your sockpuppets are chewing on them.
    How sick that you have to use sockpuppets to do your net policing
    and pontificating. How did you sneak out of the diahrea ward?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Jun 14, 2006
  15. Doc

    kony Guest

    Tim you have so many "issues" it's not even worth the time
    to address them all.

    kony, Jun 14, 2006
  16. Doc

    Doc Guest

    <snip and discard pointless blather>

    And you're the assclown bitching about noise on Usenet?

    Doc, Jun 14, 2006

  17. It seems you and Tim both can't keep your head out of your ...

    There is a distinction you both still fail to make, that you both are
    burdens upon every place you go, instead of seeking to be constructive.
    Is everyone, always, constructive? Of course not but in your case it
    is only a detriment to others.

    Instead of expecting others to do your work for you, follow the same
    methods others use to find information instead of expecting everyone
    else to make an effort at what you didn't even deem important enough to
    make the same effort towards yourself.

    Searching for information IS considered proper before posting
    questions, especially before posting basic questions to several groups.

    mindless_drone, Jun 14, 2006
  18. Doc

    Doc Guest

    Doc, Jun 14, 2006

  19. Play on with your sock puppets, koRny. How pathetic
    you are to pretend you're multiple people.

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Jun 14, 2006
  20. Doc

    kony Guest

    As if this post of yours is somehow different?

    kony, Jun 15, 2006