    Is there any service on mobile networks that will return the coordinate of
    the nearest base station?

    Samuel

    Samuel Lopez, Jul 10, 2005

  2. Sending a blank SMS to 1715678 used to give you the Lat/Long co-ords of
    the nearest mobile tower, although I've heard the service is
    experimental and keeps changing. Only worked for Telstra though.
    Not sure of its status these days, or a similar service for other
    networks.

    Dave :)

    David L. Jones, Jul 10, 2005

  3. Not generally. The GSM network obviously knows your location by the
    cell you're booked into. If they put their mind to it, they can
    pinpoint it down to a couple of meters in optimal conditions, using
    signal strengths at neighboring towers and some triangulation. Look
    up "LAC" or "CellID" for details.

    The tricky question is whether or not they'll allow you, the
    subscriber, access to that information. Several network providers
    want to exploit this themselves, by offering various "location-based
    services" for extra fees, e.g. via WAP, so they're not particularly
    likely to let any odd application running on the phone access this
    data.

    Then there's the question of whether the GSM client device in question
    will let software access these data at all, and whether a Symbian
    application written by some random persion is allowed to access it.

    Hans-Bernhard Broeker, Jul 10, 2005
  4. Here in Croatia, CellID feature is free if you use VIP provider. The name of
    street where antenna is is displayed on the phone. Also, I heard that one of
    British operators will (or maybe already is) use CellID in combination with
    GSM phones with AGPS (assisted GPS). GPS "cold start" is much faster with
    approximate location. Less annoying, less current consumption, etc. etc....

    Precise triangulation in "urban canyon" is nearly meaningless.

    Aleksandar Kovacevic, Jul 10, 2005
  5. Samuel Lopez

    Jet Morgan Guest

    Eh ? what ? What country is the original poster in ?

    Here in the UK, there are several services for tracking handsets
    (to the nearest basestation), but the trackee has to consent to
    having their location transmitted (by SMS).

    There was a company called "RouteCall" which would provide
    location info on any UK mobile handset on demand and without
    the trackee knowing. This was actually a test program, but it
    was left as an active web page until various people noticed it.

    Richard [in PE12]

    Jet Morgan, Jul 10, 2005
  6. Samuel Lopez

    Ken Taylor Guest

    UK police got a successful murder prosecution after using a warrant to get
    hold of historic cell system data and track a person's movement through the
    cell phone network. (Sorry, I haven't got the citation on hand - search BBC
    and you'd find it).

    Ken

    Ken Taylor, Jul 10, 2005
  7. Samuel Lopez