    I'd like to copy the login screen image for an account from one computer
    to another. Not the background image, the pic that's shown in a circle.
    Does anyone know where that image is saved?

    Julian Gomez, Sep 6, 2012

  2. Julian Gomez

    David Empson Guest

    The raw image data is buried inside the Directory Services database
    record for the account. There may also be a cached copy: for my account,
    I have a file /Library/Caches/com.apple.user501pictureCache.userImage
    which holds a copy of the image (as a TIFF).

    (The "501" in the above is the user ID for my account. It might be 502
    or higher numbers if multiple accounts had been created.)

    You can read the Directory Services database record for the user account
    in Terminal using this command:

    dscl . -read /Users/shortname

    replacing "shortname" with the short name of your user account (same as
    your home folder name).

    Mine has a field called JPEGPhoto which contains the raw data, and a
    field called Picture which links to the above file.

    David Empson, Sep 7, 2012

  3. There are two built-in screen capture features. COMMAND-OPTION-3 will
    capture the entire screen and save it to the Desktop as a PNG file. You
    can change this location with Cocktail and other utilities.

    http://maintain.se/cocktail

    COMMAND-OPTION-4 will capture a select rectangular portion of the screen
    and save it to a file.

    If you want a cicular selection of this capture, you'll have to use an
    image editor like Photoshop or Pixelmator to edit the file afterwards.

    Michael Vilain, Sep 7, 2012
  4. Julian Gomez

    Lewis Guest

    They are stored int eh NetInfo database.

    dscl . -read /Users/<user> JPEGPhoto | tail -1 | xxd -r -p > <user>.jpg

    will get them out (replace <user> with the short username you want to get).

    If you used Apple provided pictures, those are in /Library/User Pictures/

    Lewis, Sep 7, 2012
  5. Julian Gomez

    Lewis Guest

    Directory Services, not NetInfo.

    Lewis, Sep 7, 2012
  6. Julian Gomez

    FPP Guest

    Am I confused... but do you mean the User Picture? The small circle
    under the grey apple, and just above the User name?

    Those have previously been stored in: /HD/Library/User Pictures

    .... and you can use any 512x512 tif image you put in a folder there.

    FPP

    FPP, Sep 7, 2012
  7. Julian Gomez

    Your Name Guest

    There's actually more than two, but it depends on what version of the Mac
    OS you're using as to how many. There's quite a few combinations to save
    an image of the entire display, save a selected area, save a window, copy
    each of these to the clipboard instead of saving, etc.

    <http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X>

    You can also use the Grab application (although I haven't looked to see if
    that still comes with Lion or Mountain Lion).

    BUT, I doubt any of these work on the login screen (with no user logged in
    the computer won't know where to save the image). Of course, you don't
    actually need the login screen since the user image is also displayed in
    the Users Preferance pane.

    Your Name, Sep 7, 2012
  8. Julian Gomez

    Julian Gomez Guest

    Not doing it. I did find the tag "_writers_jpegphoto" but not
    "JPEGPhoto" in the output from dscl. I haven't been able to get it to
    output anything resembling a picture.

    Don't know if it makes a difference - this is on 10.7.4

    Julian Gomez, Sep 10, 2012
  9. Julian Gomez

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Sep 10, 2012