Where are the files and how do I find them?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Salmon Egg, Jan 20, 2009.

  1. Salmon Egg

    Salmon Egg Guest

    I have this problem with the Brother Control Center. I may have it with
    other applications, but not often enough to have noticed.

    I scan a document and get it displayed on my screen. It automatically
    seems to be saved somewhere. It is given a name usually CC100000.pdf as
    default for the first one and gets incremented for successive ones. I
    can use it to save under another name. Then the file seems to disappear.
    It is available from the Recent Item in the Apple menu but hidden from
    the Finder's Find command.

    1. Where are these files?

    2. How can I search for them?

    3. Do I need to learn use Terminal?

    4. What is the underlying motivation to do things like this?

    Bill

    Salmon Egg, Jan 20, 2009

  2. With what are you scanning?

    Can you open just one and do a Save As? That may reveal the default
    location, which may or may not be Documents folder.

    John McWilliams, Jan 20, 2009

  3. Unless the documentation tells you where the files are stashed, you'll
    have to reverse engineer this all by your lonesome. And, yes, Virginia,
    you may have to use the Terminal to do it.

    If you're lucky, you may find the files using Spotlight. Try putting
    the name "CC100000.pdf" into the Spotlight box (activate it by typing
    command-space). It may solve your problem for you.

    If that doesn't work, post again and we'll roll up our sleeves and start
    digging.

    Michael Vilain, Jan 20, 2009
  4. Answer to #2: Spotlight with search parameters set right.

    Type Command-Space and start typing the document's name. If it does not
    appear in the results and you want a more specific search, then:

    a) Go File->Find or Command-F in the Finder.

    b) Choose "Kind" and "PDF"

    c) type in as much of the file's name as you know.

    BTW - to find 'system files' (most stuff within Library folders, which
    could include your scans, depending on where they're being saved):

    a) Go File->Find or Command-F in the Finder.

    b) click the plus sign to add another search parameter.

    c) Choose "System files" and select "Include".

    d) type in as much of the file's name as you know.

    Answer to #1: The path bar and right clicking.

    After finding the file with Spotlight select it. The path bar at the
    bottom of the window shows where it is. You can doubleclick any of the
    folders in the file's path to open it in a new window.
    Or right click on the file in the search results and choose "Open
    Enclosing Folder" from the contextual menu that appears.

    Answer to #3: Nope.

    Answer to #4: It's badly written software if it does not advise you
    where a document is saved, or better yet give you the chance to choose
    for yourself.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 20, 2009
  5. Salmon Egg

    Nick Naym Guest

    Jamie gets highest marks for such a clear exposition. :)

    Nick Naym, Jan 20, 2009
  6. Salmon Egg

    ZnU Guest

    Open one of the files. I assume they open in Preview? Anyway, assuming
    they open in some app which adopts normal Mac document-based app
    behavior, the file's icon and name will appear in the window title bar.
    Hold the command key and click it. A menu will pop up showing you the
    full path to the file, and you can open its enclosing folder from there
    and drag all the files somewhere more sensible.
    Can't explain that one.

    ZnU, Jan 20, 2009
  7. Salmon Egg

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Why would a scanned document be saved as a PDF? My scanners store them
    as TIFF, JPEG or some other user specified format.

    Tom Stiller, Jan 20, 2009
  8. Salmon Egg

    David Empson Guest

    I also have a Brother scanner (and Brother Control Center) and tried
    this myself to see what you are observing.
    They are created in an invisible temporary folder which is managed by
    the system, and will be deleted automatically when you restart.

    Specifically: /tmp/your_user_name/CC100000.pdf

    (where "your_user_name" is the short name of your account on the
    computer, which will be the same as the name of your home folder).
    Not easily. The best solution is to save the scan from Preview to a
    location where you want to keep it.
    The "Scan to Image" function in Brother Control Center is specifically
    intended to do a temporary scan which appears in the application you
    have configured for displaying scans. You are then supposed to use that
    application to save the scan if you want to keep it.

    By default, this function scans to PDF and opens the PDF in Preview.

    If you are always intending to keep files of your scans in a well
    defined place, you should use the "Scan to File" feature instead. By
    default, this will scan the image and save it in the "Scans" folder
    inside "Pictures" in your home folder.

    Exactly how are you initiating a scan at the moment? If you are using
    the button on the printer, it is probably configured to do a "Scan to
    Image".

    If you use Brother Control Center to initiate the scan, you have more
    choices available. Open Brother Control Center by clicking on its menu
    bar icon and choosing Open. This will present a window with mode
    selection tabs down the left side, and a set of four buttons to do
    different types of scans (Image, OCR, E-Mail and File).

    You can configure most aspects of Brother Control Center by clicking on
    the "Configuration" popup menu in the top row. The menu lets you
    configure the three tabs of Brother Control Center (Scan, Custom Scan
    and Copy/PC-Fax), and within each of those there are four buttons you
    can configure.

    You can specify details like the resolution, document type, which
    application to open, where to save files, etc.

    You can also configure the "device button" settings, which specify what
    happens when you initiate a scan from the buttons on the front panel of
    your scanner.

    David Empson, Jan 20, 2009
  9. Yeah, I'm not sure PDF is the best choice to begin with, but I wasn't
    going to get into that right now :)

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 21, 2009
  10. Thanks :) I might also mention EasyFind
    <http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/freeware/index.html> which I
    often prefer over Spotlight. It can do wildcard and boolean searches of
    package contents and invisible files and folders - very handy.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 21, 2009
  11. Salmon Egg

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    You could also try the free EasyFind or Find Any File.

    AIUI, Spotlight does not search (most of) the Library, so if the file is
    in Application Support it might not get found.

    But I wouldthink it is most likely either on the Desktop or in the
    Documents folder.

    Daniel Cohen, Jan 21, 2009
  12. Salmon Egg

    Salmon Egg Guest

    I just scanned a document using the Brother Control Center. I saved it
    as a pdf document, probably using the Save As command from Control
    Center. As usual. I could not find it using Finder's Find application. I
    was able to open the document using the Apple menu's Recent Items. It
    opened just as expected in Adobe Reader.

    In Adobe Reader's File menu there is a Properties command. Using that, a
    window opened with much useful information. The location was given as

    Macintosh HD:private:tmp:<username>.

    Well, now I know where the file is originally stored, but I do not know
    how to access it in order to drag a copy to where I want it to be. I now
    believe that I have to use Save a Copy to put into an accessible
    directory (folder).

    I still do not understand why there is this rigmarole when I have full
    system privileges.

    Bill

    Salmon Egg, Feb 5, 2009