    can you get by with non-ECC?

    TIA,

    Pete

    Peter Harrington, Apr 13, 2004

  2. Peter Harrington

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    I have run XP workstations with 1.5G of PC133 SDRAM (non-reg, non-ecc) and
    had zero problems.

    Most of the large memory systems i build have reg ecc (ddr or sdram) because
    that is what the boards require to support that much memory.

    be very careful and do your homework with regards to what your board will
    support. I tried to run 2 1G sticks in my KX 7-333R and it wouldnt do it. I
    had to go for 4 x 512M, and even then the mobo was totally unstable. I had
    to take it down to 1G to get it rock solid. I learned my lesson with that
    experiment... and it was an expensive lesson at that.

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Peter Harrington

    Wes Newell Guest

    You buy two 1gig sticks of the same kind, You now have 2G of matched ram.
    Or you can use 2 sticks of different makes as long as both will support
    the same settings.
    Before you waste your money on ECC/Registered ram, make sure your MB
    supports it. Should be in manual. And ram prices are skyrocketing if you
    haven't noticed.

    Wes Newell, Apr 13, 2004
  4. Michael Brown, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Our IT guy recommended Atlas Precision Ram, but I could not find their web
    site or any timing information.

    Pete

    Peter Harrington, Apr 13, 2004
  6. Peter Harrington

    DeanF Guest

    KHX3200K2/2G 2GB 400MHz DDR Non-ECC CL2.5 DIMM (Kit of 2 - 1GB)
    (Datasheet) BUY

    KHX3700K2/2G 2GB 466MHz DDR Non-ECC CL3 DIMM (Kit of 2 - 1GB)
    (Datasheet) BUY

    Calvin Coolidge wrote:
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of
    persistence. Talent will not.... Genius will not."

    DeanF, Apr 13, 2004
  7. A match made in heaven.... Awwww

    Isn't it cute? They are in love. ROFLOL

    Wayne Wastier, Apr 14, 2004
  8. Peter Harrington

    Filip Guest

    Go to http://www.ocsystem.com/ocx22gbpcddm.html they have a 2GB Kit of
    PC3500 Dual Channel Series NonECC Un-Registered RAM with CAS 3
    timings....pretty good for RAM of this size and speed.....the price is only
    $489 total with free shipping....good luck...

    Filip, Apr 14, 2004
  9. Peter Harrington

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    O U C H

    NuTs

    I have a matched pair of PC2100, Reg ECC I can sell ya...

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, Apr 15, 2004
  10. Thanks for the advice. I found out about this RAM and bought it before you
    posted your message, so there must have been some sort of cosmic alliance.
    I will let you know how it works out.

    I also will post any performance hit, by going to a larger quantity of
    system RAM.

    Thanks,

    Pete

    Peter Harrington, Apr 16, 2004