    754 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb ATX AMD Motherboard and the rear port template?

    Also, can someone recommend the appropriate processor fan?

    Darren

    Darren, Feb 21, 2006

  2. Darren

    Mark A Guest

    Asus has most motherboard manuals in PDF form on their website. You might be
    able to get a template from Asus support, but some motherboards will fit the
    standard templates that comes with the case.

    Do you mean fan, or heatsink/fan? To choose a fan, you must first choose a
    heatsink, since they don't all use the same size fan. You should probably
    specify which CPU you have. If you get a retail version of a CPU, it will
    come with a HSF.

    Mark A, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Darren

    Darren Guest

    Another costly screw up. :(

    I got the OEM version of AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 800MHz FSB Socket 754
    Processor.

    It comes with no fan.

    Thanks for the info on Asus support for the template. The case I have does
    not match at all.

    I will never buy OEM again. :(

    Darren

    Darren, Feb 21, 2006
  4. Darren

    dormouse Guest

    I had the same problem with a Gigabyte Pentium 4 OEM board that for no
    apparent reason had the 2 USB ports at the opposite end to the mouse &
    keyboard sockets instead of next to them. Some Hewlett Packard OEM
    Pentium 3 boards also had a non-standard layout but only 2 rear USB
    ports.
    I can understand manufacturers using a non-standard layout when boards
    have 4 or even 6 rear USB ports but I don't see any reason to deviate
    from the norm when there are only 2.
    I had to cut 3 standard backplates up and join them together to make
    something that fitted!
    DM

    dormouse, Feb 21, 2006
  5. Darren

    Gary Guest

    Check ebay. That is where I found my manual and template for my Asus P4800
    SE.

    Gary, Feb 21, 2006
  6. Anyone know where I can find instructions for the ASUS K8N-E DELUXE Socket
    Please try here:

    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

    Submit your three line selecction and then there comes a "Manual" tab.
    The english version is at the bottom.

    Friedrich Wuelfing, Feb 21, 2006
  7. Darren

    Bob Knowlden Guest

    http://estore.asus.com/shop/category.asp?catid=191

    The I/O shield is $5 plus shipping. I don't know whether you'd do better
    with the eBay vendors, but I doubt it. (I've used the e-store just once.
    There was a mix up with the part numbers, but they rectified it quickly and
    I just received the correct part.)

    The port brackets that might have been included with the retail version are
    also available there, should you want them. They're not inexpensive ($10,
    $12, plus shipping).

    The manual is available for download:

    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/K8N-E_DX/e1883_k8n-e_deluxe.pdf

    Don't bother buying the support CD, as all the drivers you'd need are
    available for download at support.asus.com.

    I don't know what to recommend for a CPU heatsink & fan. I've only used the
    heatsink included with the retail CPU, or an expensive third-party one
    (Thermalright XP-120, for example). www.newegg.com lists a number of
    heatsink/fan combinations. The cheapest are less than $7, but the shipping
    charge would be $5.

    I hope that you can get the system built for not too much more than you'd
    have spent with a retail board. ;-)

    Bob Knowlden, Feb 22, 2006