    Controller (on board), version 2004 v 1.0.0.51. Right now it just
    "hangs" when I am trying to delete or creat a Stripped 0 RAID.
    T.I.A.

    wert, Jan 21, 2011

  2. wert

    wert Guest

    Opps! I ment to say "driver version"

    wert, Jan 21, 2011

  3. wert

    wert Guest

    Oh, I forgot to mention I am using WD Raptors 37GB drives (I have
    four)

    wert, Jan 21, 2011
  4. wert

    Paul Guest

    Does the problem happen while you're in Windows, using a
    RAID Management control panel ?

    Or does the problem happen in a BIOS setup screen ?

    *******

    When you buy a separate PCI card with SIl3112 on it,
    there is a "BIOS chip" on the card as well. Silicon Image
    provides BIOS code that sits in that EEPROM chip. Versions
    of code are available to make such a PCI card, either a RAID card
    or "Base IDE" kind of card. The purpose of such code, is
    to provide Extended INT 0x13 support during the BIOS boot
    process. Without that code, the BIOS doesn't know a boot device
    is present. A second purpose of such code, is supporting
    things like a RAID setup screen at BIOS time.

    When the SIL3112 chip is placed on a motherboard (such as your
    A7N8X Deluxe), the code module is incorporated into the
    Asus motherboard BIOS. Such motherboard BIOS chips contain many small pieces
    of code. A separate code module was obtained by Asus, from Silicon
    Image, and Asus included that as part of the motherboard BIOS.

    There was a bug in the SIL3112 code, triggered when 1TB SATA disks are present.
    If you own a PCI card with SIL3112, you use the flasher tool, and
    put a new version of code in the EEPROM. Silicon Image eventually
    figured out there was a problem, but the fix was released well
    after Asus stopped supporting the motherboard.

    If your motherboard has that buggy code in the BIOS chip, you'd need
    Asus to release another version of the motherboard BIOS, to have
    a chance to correct the bug. If you have the right BIOS tools,
    it is also possible to fix it yourself. (If you have a BIOS Savior
    chip, it's even risk-free. A BIOS Savior has a second BIOS chip
    soldered to it, and prevents the motherboard from being "bricked"
    if the BIOS code is bad or the flash fails.)

    If you go to a site like nforcershq.com, they used to specialize in
    Nforce2 motherboards. And if there was any site that would have a
    hacked BIOS, that would be the site to get it from. I got a
    "Trats BIOS" there, back when I was using an A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard,
    as that gave indirect control over one BIOS parameter. If someone
    has been rolling new BIOS files, ones with fixed Silicon Image code
    modules, that would be the place to look for one.

    So if the "hang" occurs in a BIOS screen, you'll want to look for
    nforcershq.com (or whatever is left of it). The site may have changed,
    erased old postings and so on - I can't guarantee there will be anything
    of value there. But it's where I'd start.

    If the problem happens in Windows, siliconimage.com used to provide
    drivers for download, but I expect the cost of maintaining a steady
    stream of drivers got to them, and about all they provide now, is
    release numbers so you know what to look for. At one time, you could
    even find a flasher tool for example, plus the BIOS modules used for the
    add-in PCI cards, and change your RAID card to a base card or vice
    versa.

    http://www.siliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=63&cat=3&os=4

    Syba is one company that used to make cards with those chips on them.
    Their drivers may not be up to date, but this would be another place
    to look.

    http://it.us.syba.com/support_download/download/73-0203-1.html

    The Windows software could consist of two different parts. The
    basic driver would be relatively small, and allows the hard drive
    to be accessed in Windows. The "RAID Management" software is
    normally a larger package, with a control panel so you can change
    RAID modes, rebuild an array, and so on. The RAID Management
    operates on top of the driver - RAID Management can't do anything,
    unless the driver is present.

    *******

    You're really a little late, to get the best of support from these
    companies. And Asus would be the absolute worst at this, as they stopped
    fixing stuff for those boards, long ago. You can probably fix your
    problem, but it won't be quite as easy as it would have been three
    or five years ago. If you really need a hacked BIOS to fix this, I hope
    someone still offers it for download. (Have a look here.)

    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/a7n8x-bios-releases-t15505.html

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 21, 2011
  5. wert

    wert Guest

    When I press F4 to access it, I see the drives. When I delete the raid
    and it hangs. When I try to create a raid 0. it hangs. I also will
    mention I have a PCI SATA controller with two SATA drives and an IDE
    hooked up to it.

    wert, Jan 21, 2011
  6. wert

    Paul Guest

    So are the drives high capacity devices ? (Greater than 1TB)

    When you say "PCI SATA", is that additional card based on SIL3112 as well ?
    Or is it a different chip, like a VIA branded chip ?

    I haven't heard of symptoms where problems only occur when you
    try to change to RAID 0. The symptoms I've heard of, is the
    computer cannot start, because the BIOS hangs. And the BIOS
    hangs, when the SIL3112 code in the BIOS runs, and a 1TB
    disk is detected. The code stops, and the computer cannot
    continue. It is frozen. If you press the reset, the same thing
    happens again. The computer never gets to the point where it
    can boot.

    Perhaps your drives are 500GB each, and when you make a
    RAID 0, the capacity becomes 1TB total, and that is what
    is causing the hang ?

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 21, 2011