    fine from the terminal window ...

    But, /where/ is it? It does not appear in the Applications folder, nor
    can I find it with search (Finder).

    Alan Browne, Jan 27, 2011

  2. /usr/local/somewhere...

    Claude V. Lucas, Jan 27, 2011

  3. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Why wouldn't it be in Applications?

    (I'm not a *nix expert at all...)

    Alan Browne, Jan 27, 2011
  4. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Thx.

    Found it in usr/bin

    Previously it was installed in Applications - but could be I screwed up
    when I installed it back then. Today's DL unpacked and stored itself
    properly - I guess.

    Alan Browne, Jan 27, 2011
  5. Alan Browne

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Applications without a GUI are not installed in Applications. They are
    installed in the BSD subsystem in one of the usual directories specified
    by Unix convention (usually /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/*, etc).

    To find any file in Terminal try using "which" as in:

    which exiftool

    (that's for binaries and will tell you which one the system is
    configured to use) or "find"

    find exiftool

    or "locate"

    locate exiftool

    According to http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
    you will find it located here:

    "The OS X package installs the ExifTool command-line application and
    libraries in /usr/bin. After installing, type "exiftool" in a Terminal
    window to run exiftool and read the application documentation."

    Tim McNamara, Jan 27, 2011
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Thanks - the arcana of commands is a real obstacle to learning what goes
    where. I was trying to find a switch in ls that would 'dig' down...

    I did find it where you said - but by manually traversing.

    As to locate I get:

    WARNING: The locate database (/var/db/locate.database) does not
    exist.
    To create the database, run the following command:

    sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons
    /com.apple.locate.plist

    I assume that's safe?

    Alan Browne, Jan 27, 2011
  7. Alan Browne

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    In the find where it says [Kind] is [Any] click on Kind and choose
    Other…

    In that list, find "System Files" and select it
    Change [don't include] to include.

    It's probably installed in /usr/local/bin/

    Lewis, Jan 28, 2011