    like Digidice.

    Abit is forgetting its enthusiast roots......

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Feb 15, 2005

  2. ....or making sure the product is right before they release it.
    IMO SLI is itself a useless gimmick, as my current graphics solution is more
    than up to the gaming I do, and my penis is of sufficient size that I don't
    feel the need to extend it via benchmark wanking contests. Maybe Abit feel
    the same way?
    Resource-diluting? They used a board that was already being sold as a
    standalone product and got the enclosure designed by a third party Taiwanese
    supplier. The software utilities supplied with the DigiDice are derived from
    stuff already available for other boards. The product cost them very little
    in R&D time, and gives them a presence in a growing market. Hence more money
    to plough back into their mainstream R&D.
    Not sure how you come to that conclusion John. They might not be making what
    *you* want, but it's not like everyone has the same complaint, so any claim
    that Abit are forgetting "us" as a group of enthusiasts seems a little
    fatuous.

    They're certainly churning out enough new products. If you want an SLI board
    now, the answer is simple - buy one from another vendor. If you want an
    Abit, wait until it's on the market. Bitching and moaning here won't make it
    happen any faster.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 16, 2005

  3. I remember that Abit had a break with Nvidia, just after the release
    of AN7, nforce2.

    It might be caused by bad economy by Abit, as we have also read about.

    So they might have been delayed for several reasons, I believe.

    Further the Fatality boards are not my cup of tea ...

    best regards

    John

    JK (at mail dot dk), Feb 16, 2005
  4. John Lewis

    John Russell Guest

    If by "roots" you mean the "get more bang for your buck" overclockers you
    could be right. That's becuase this niche market has expanded and
    competition has grown. Every motherboard maker seems to make boards which
    overclock well (OK gigabyte excepted!).

    Abit's latest boards are still for "enthusiasts", but again it's that new
    niche market of money no object, got to be the fastest, lan gamers.

    John Russell, Feb 16, 2005
  5. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    Ah, but the alternate capability of up to 4-head video out is NOT
    a useless gimmick at all.

    The flexibility offered by a dual-graphics PCI-Express solution, SLI
    or not, cannot be ignored; especially for video editing or any other
    application requiring simultaneous visibility/manipulation of large
    areas of detailed graphics information. Obviously you have done very
    little video-editing under time-pressure... A 3-headed display is so
    useful for time-line editing under these circumstances, 4 even better
    with the 4th showing the resultant video. I do not want to buy an
    antique Matrox multi-head AGP solution. With dual-6600e cards and the
    rapidly-falling price of decent-size decent-quality LCD displays, a
    dream editing suite using a dual-video PCIe board can be put together
    for very few bucks. Plus the nForce4 other features are VERY nice.
    The most interesting shoes to drop in the next few months will be
    Intel's 64-bit (single or dual-core) offerings coupled with nVidia's
    SLI ( or 4-head, however you read it ) chipset for Intel's 64-bit
    processors. I shall not be building a new system till mid-Summer,
    so I think I shall have some choices. Whether an Abit MB is among
    them, that is up to Abit getting thier finger out very quickly. I
    refrain from buying the first 2-3 months of production run of any new
    motherboard. Have witnessed too many V1.00 followed by
    V1.01, 1.1 etc.
    Yep... for the unwashed masses. Nice to finally see Abit motherboards
    at Fry's. Now I know they have finally made it :---( :--( Seems as if
    they have financial difficulties as well.... I wonder why ?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Feb 16, 2005
  6. John Lewis" wrote in message...
    On that point I couldn't agree more.
    Indeed not, and if you'd mentioned this angle in your original post my
    response would have been significantly different.
    Quite the opposite. I've been using multiple outputs for years, thanks to
    Matrox's "antique" solutions. Nice to see the rest of the graphics industry
    finally catching up! ;)
    For the sake of completeness they do a PCIe Parhelia now, but I know what
    you're saying, it's nice to have options from ATi and nVidia that do 3D
    speed as well.
    Hence comment about Abit getting the product right before unleashing it
    Not really sure that's valid. The high end niche boards are still there -
    the AN8, AA8, IC7 Max3 all offered that "little bit extra", while the
    Fatal1ty series are aimed at money-no-object gamers. Sure, it's a slightly
    different niche than Abit used to aim at, but now most of the rest of the
    industry offers the sort of functionality that used to be pretty much
    exclusive to Abit, you can hardly blame them for seeking new markets.
    Is that a rhetorical question? If not, there are a variety of reasons.
    Selling boards that John Lewis doesn't like is not likely to figure high
    among them.

    If the stories are correct (and that is in itself something of a grey area),
    it proves if anything that shooting for niche customers isn't the path to
    long-term profitability for a company involved in the PC market. Asus make
    the bulk of their money from shifting base level boards by the tens of
    thousand to system integrators. Abit don't have anywhere near the same
    presence in the OEM field, and that, more than any one single factor, is
    what's costing them at the moment.

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 17, 2005
  7. John Lewis

    skiman Guest