Where, oh where is this subdirectory?

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Turner Morgan, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. This should probably be a question for Microsoft, but since it happened on
    my Gateway 700XL system running WinXP Pro, I'll start here.

    I recently did a search on *.mp3, looking for a music file I had
    "misplaced." Well, in addition to finding the missing file, the search also
    listed a lot of other files in the "Documents and Settings/Owner/My
    Documents/My Music" subdirectory. Please note two things: 1) There is no
    "C:\" preceding the subdirectory structure and 2) this subdirectory lisiting
    uses *forward* slashes, not the usual DOS backslashes.

    This subdirectory does not show up in Windows Explorer (except in the Search
    Results). It is not on the desktop. Windows will play a file if I
    double-click it, so they must live somewhere.

    My wife and I both have accounts on this computer, mostly to keep email
    accounts separate, and neither is "Owner" although I read somewhere that
    there is always an "Owner" account. None shows up in the system account
    listing.

    These are all rather old files and I would like to delete them. Where are
    they?

    Thanks,
    Turner

    Turner Morgan, Jun 8, 2004

  2. C:/Documents and settings/owner/my documents/my music

    Just like it says, I have to admit that this confused me as well when going
    from windows 98 to windows xp, it is posible that unless you are logged in
    as an administrator this directory may be hidden, try logging on as the
    "owner" and look for this folder. It is there though I promiss you.

    Curtis

    me,myself and moe, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Whereever they are... you should be able to get rid of them by
    rightclicking on them in the search results window and then selecting
    delete, or alternatively select them and press the delete key on the
    keyboard.

    Albert Alcoceba
    <><

    http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/