Where to buy Sun hardware in the UK??

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Dave, Jul 22, 2008.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I buy the odd bits of kit off of eBay (like this Blade 2000 I'm using).

    Unfortunately, my keyboard suffered a fatality after being bathed with
    coffee. Hence I wanted to buy a new keyboard.

    Thinking a Sun dealer would be quicker than eBay, I ordered a keyboard
    from Q Associates. Much to my surprise, they did not take credit cards,
    so I had to mess around sending a cheque. Then I found they had to order
    it, as they did not have one. So it has taken over a week to get a type
    7 USB keyboard.

    Does anyone know of any UK dealers which take credit cards, keep a stock
    of smaller items and can ship things quickly? I don't want to get in the
    position of having to wait a week for a small common item in future.

    I'm not looking for anything to buy now and judging by the relative cost
    of importing from the USA to the UK, I would normally buy things from
    the USA. But I thought a UK dealer would be quicker on a keyboard, but
    this was not the case.

    Dave

    Dave, Jul 22, 2008

  2. Dave

    Huge Guest

    This isn't as straightforward as you might think. The two dealers I used to use
    for this kind of thing; Workstation Technologies and Acara, have both
    disappeared in the recent past.

    I have some places I've found on eBay you might like to use - I have no
    connection with these people other than being a happy customer, usually for Sun
    stuff;

    Unixnerd;

    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-UnixNerds-Domain_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

    Global Computer Auctions;

    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Global-Computer-Auctions_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

    (These people sold me the SB2000 I'm typing this on.)

    Evolution ICT/eolgroup;

    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Evolution-ICT_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

    I have used Morse Computers in the past, but never for small personal items.

    Huge, Jul 22, 2008

  3. Dave

    kforbz Guest

    I know it's another ebay link, but they have a lot of Buy It Now or
    Best Offer, which could be useful for your needs.

    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sun-IT-Supplies

    Again I have no affiliation with the sellers, just a satisfied
    customer.

    kforbz, Jul 23, 2008
  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I'd never heard of Workstation Technologies, but was aware Acara had
    gone. I think Tom had a hard time competing with eBay.
    Yes, I've used John before. But I got the feeling he sells only used
    stuff. I was rather in a hurry for this, which is why I thought an
    official Sun dealer would have been better. But when I realised they had
    to order a keyboard in I was a bit surprised.

    On some rare occasions, I've bought Sun stuff and got it in less time
    from the US than it took me to get this keyboard.
    I don't think I've ever come across them. I bought my Blade 2000 from
    the USA. I rekon at the time I saved about £500 over a UK dealer. I paid
    $1300 including carriage with dual 1.2 GHz processors, dual 73 GB disks
    and 8 GB of RAM. That was about 9 months ago, so I would not be
    surprised if that is expensive by todays standards.

    I've used Morse professionally before. I might give them a try if this
    situation arises again.

    Dave, Jul 23, 2008
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanks for that. There was a company near me named IT supplies (or
    similar) but he was outrageously expensive. Not sure if its the same
    lot, but their prices seem reasonable, so I guess not.

    Dave, Jul 23, 2008
  6. Dave

    adamretter Guest

    I use Acardia both in my previous job and for personal things (like
    replacement keyboards). I have found that its best to speak to them, but
    they now also have www.buysunonline.com - I ordered a Type 7 keyboard by
    credit card and it came next day - very impressed :)

    adamretter, Aug 3, 2008
  7. Ebay!!

    Howard Huntley, Aug 12, 2008
  8. You might try contacting cornet computers in Scotland. We have sold
    them a lot of keyboards, and they may stock them

    davidsworkstation, Aug 15, 2008