    memory than just 2GB. I would really appreciate any help.
    thank you
    if you could email me i really appreciate it:

    ali yousefi, Jul 27, 2003

  2. ali  yousefi

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    what operating system will you be using?

    Do you need buffered/Registered or unbuffered/non-registered? ECC?

    how much money are you willing to spend?

    I have seen a lot of 1GB PC2100 DIMM's... but I have not seen ANY CL2-2-2-2.
    There is CL2.5-2-2-2 everywhere.

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, Jul 28, 2003

  3. ali  yousefi

    ali yousefi Guest

    I have the iwill dp533 MB. it has room for 4 memory modules. I want them
    unbuffered,
    since they are abit faster and non-ECC since is not a server. It is going
    to be used as an
    animation workstation. I like to be able to put 4GB of memory in
    there(though you can put 4
    2GB memory modules, which i don't have the money for!). I would love to
    have 4 modules
    of 1GB 2.5-2-2 (what is the last 2 for do you mean 2T?) But all i have seen
    are 2.5-3-3 or
    higher. If you let me know the site I would greatly appreciate your help.

    also some sites have 3-3-6-8 do you have any idea what the 4th digit (8)
    repersents. Also,
    do you think if i put in 8 modules of 512MB 2-2-2 1T would be slower than
    the 4 modules of
    2.5-2-2 2T since there are 8 modules to search for information on the memory
    as oppose to
    4 modules.

    I thank you very much for your help. This
    search is begining to make

    me bonkers........lol

    ali yousefi, Jul 28, 2003
  4. ali  yousefi

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    You might as well just get 3GB, since 2k workstation, or XP, will only give
    you 2GB for apps. That way you have 1GB for the OS, as 2GB for the OS would
    certainly not be useful. The more pieces of memory you have, the better the
    interleaving, but your expandability goes away. So.. go with 6 512's, and
    you should get dual bank, 4way interleaving.

    Unless you are using some *nix... if that is the case, i dont believe it has
    the same memory limitations.

    http://www.pricewatch.com

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, Jul 28, 2003
  5. ali  yousefi

    ali yousefi Guest

    but doesn't that cause a slowdown since there are more memory modules
    which have to search more spaces for the information stored on the chips.

    ali yousefi, Jul 28, 2003
  6. ali  yousefi

    NuT CrAcKeR Guest

    actually, just the opposite.

    are you familiar with RAID ? the more spinles you have in your raid volume,
    the better your performance and lower general latency to access data at any
    particular point will be.

    that is where the interleaving comes in....

    NuTs

    NuT CrAcKeR, Jul 29, 2003
  7. ali  yousefi

    ali yousefi Guest

    HI:

    I endup going with 4 of the 512MB of kingston Hyperx 2700 with
    2-2-2-5 1T timing. I figured with two gigs, about half of gig will go for
    the system files and the other 1.5gigs are for my applications. So, I only
    rubbed myself out of half of gig of application memory. But, man what a
    speed performer, that should make all the difference during rendering, I
    figuered. What do you think.
    thanks for all your help.

    ali yousefi, Jul 30, 2003