    me to MAKE a total reinstall CD, that is bootable.... I am new to the
    Dell laptop world. The OS is XP Home and there is a CD/RW/DVD combo
    drive installed.

    chrisoc, May 16, 2006

  2. chrisoc

    S.Lewis Guest

    The OS CD costs only $10 at the time of purchase. It's not a restore CD, but
    rather a Windows CD, no apps.

    Try calling Dell Spare Parts at 1-800-357-3355.

    S.Lewis, May 16, 2006

  3. chrisoc

    BigJim Guest

    there is a folder called Drivers, when you get the machine make a copy of
    it.
    The folder has all the drivers for that machine. If you ever need to
    reinstall xp
    you will need these drivers to get the machine back to factory condition.
    Dell does not give a restore disk.

    BigJim, May 16, 2006
  4. chrisoc

    journey Guest

    There may be a way to make a bootable CD. Dell walked me through the
    steps to do that with my 700m.

    Call Dell Customer Service and see if they will send one to you. If
    it's still under warranty I think there's a good chance that they
    will.

    Journey

    journey, May 16, 2006
  5. chrisoc

    journey Guest

    If you need to do a fresh reinstall on your machine, I recommend not
    using the drivers mentioned above.

    I recentlly received two new laptops. Even though they were new, when
    I downloaded the drivers from the Dell website, the drivers there were
    newer than the date that I purchased my computer on.

    My technique is that I download the wireless driver at minimum from
    Dell's site. Using that I can connect with that computer to get the
    rest. If I did it again I'd probably get the chipset, display, and
    wireless drivers which is a good starting point.

    Journey

    journey, May 16, 2006
  6. chrisoc

    Kevin Guest

    It's a couple of years old yet is "new"? I would be very suspicious. There
    should be a Service Tag Number for the machine that looks like this:
    BD4TGY7 or something similar. Go to the Dell Support website and enter this
    number and you will be able to see the original system configuration and
    warranty information.

    For a time, Dell provided a way to burn a one-time only copy of the OS
    installation CD. Your machine may have this option. As I recall it was in
    the Start>All Programs>Dell menu item. Look for it and you'll find
    something if it is installed.

    Kevin, May 16, 2006
  7. chrisoc

    justme Guest

    If the machine boots when you get it and appears to be running correctly
    then just make an image of the hard drive with one of the many imaging
    applications available. I use Ghost 2003. You can make the image to cd or
    dvd if the combo drive writes dvds. Then you can get it back to that
    initial state anytime you need. Not much different than have a restore set
    of disks.

    justme, May 17, 2006
  8. chrisoc

    BigJim Guest

    copy the drivers folder to a cdrom and save it. You can get newer drivers
    like the other poster wrote. Save the originals just to be safe.

    BigJim, May 17, 2006
  9. chrisoc

    journey Guest

    True, it doesn't hurt to have these.