    Someone recommended the Nvidia 6200. Is that a good recommendation? Is
    $30 to $50 a reasonable price range? Where can I purchase a card?

    thank you

    bullseye, Jan 21, 2007

  2. bullseye

    DRS Guest

    You may be confusing system memory with video card memory. The Dimension
    4100 can accomodate 2 x 256MB PC-133 SDRAM. It has an AGP 2.0 (4x or 2x)
    slot for video. The AGP card conector must be 32-bit but that's got nothing
    to do with how the onboard memory is organised. An overly large AGP
    aperture could theoretically eat into your very limited system RAM.
    The 6200 would probably be fine if you don't play games. You'll need to
    avoid any more current cards like the 7600GS AGP that require supplementary
    power from the PSU because your 200W PSU has only 6A on the 12v rail. Older
    AGP card like the 6200 draw all their power from the bus.

    DRS, Jan 21, 2007

  3. bullseye

    bullseye Guest

    Thank you for the detailed reply, which also brings up another question:
    I see DDR mentioned on most of the cards that I see and you mention
    SDRAM; would that matter for my system? Also, I do have extra PCI
    slots, would it matter if I were to get a PCI card instead of an AGP
    card? Could you point me to one or two retailers? I tried Newegg; I
    tried pricegrabber, Pricewatch, and the big box retailers (Best Buy,
    Circuit City, Compusa) but they appear to be pushing 256 MB and up disks.

    (Also, when I checked under system and devices, my card appears to be on
    a PCI slot; getting me confused; but the slot has a lever on it; is this
    the AGP or the PCI slot?)

    bullseye, Jan 21, 2007
  4. bullseye

    DRS Guest

    Video and system RAM are independent.
    PCI cards are among the slowest around, are very old and accordingly
    difficult to find. AGP was developed primarily because of PCI's limitations
    as a bus for video cards. Do not confuse PCI with PCIe.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010380048+1069609639&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=48

    On a P3 1Ghz box with 512MB and AGP 4x there's absolutely no point going
    stupid on the video card. If you've been happy with the Geforce 2 you'd
    probably be just as happy with an FX5200 for $30 (did I just recommend a
    5200? somebody slap me).
    Slots are usually colour coded, so you should be able to tell the single AGP
    slot apart from the five PCI slots easily enough. The AGP slot should also
    be closest to the CPU with the PCI slots below it.

    DRS, Jan 21, 2007
  5. I'd not recommend the FX5200. Most FX5200's still on the
    market are of the 64bit memory bus versions. Games he plays on the GF2
    GTS may not run as well on the FX5200 64bit card (they are that bad).
    If he doesn't play any 3D games, then the FX5200 would do, but then
    even an old Matrox AGP would problably do as well. The 6200 AGP cards
    are priced as low as $40.00, and even though they are 64bit cards as
    well, they will out perform an FX5200 with a 128bit bus.

    Larry Roberts, Jan 21, 2007
  6. bullseye

    bullseye Guest

    I have been looking at few AGP cards and I will look at the 6200 (and
    maybe even post about what I get to get feedback from you folks).

    Thank you folks for the updates.

    bullseye, Jan 21, 2007
  7. bullseye

    bullseye Guest

    Would this card serve my needs?

    eVGA 128-A8-N294-LX GeForce 6200 LE 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video
    Card -

    bullseye, Jan 21, 2007
  8. bullseye

    DRS Guest

    What are your needs? We only know that you have a Geforce 2 Ultra and you
    don't play games.

    "LE" is usually translated in here as Low End. It's right at the bottom of
    the 6200 range. Does it matter? Probably not on a rig as old and
    underpowered as yours if all you do is surf the web and send emails.

    DRS, Jan 22, 2007
  9. bullseye

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'DRS' wrote, in part:
    | An overly large AGP aperture could theoretically eat
    | into your very limited system RAM.
    _____

    "AGP Aperture" is memory space allowed for mapping AGP data. It is not
    physical memory.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Jan 22, 2007
  10. bullseye

    bullseye Guest

    No games, no movies; just general web surfing but a lot of charts. What
    would I get with a better video card and how much more would I pay?
    this one is about $40, I can consider paying another $10 or $20 for
    better quality (durability).

    bullseye, Jan 22, 2007