    at someone else's expense, then you have no right to complain when they
    take your money and give it to someone else, including themselves."

    -- Thomas Sowell (1992)

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Perls=F8?=, Nov 12, 2003

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Perls=F8?=

    Bill Todd Guest

    At the northern end of the Presidential Range in north-central New
    Hampshire. It summit affords a panoramic view of the Carter-Moriah range to
    the east, significant wilderness (including lesser peaks) to the north,
    Adams (and beyond the peaks leading toward Crawford Notch) to the west, and
    the balance of the northern Presidentials (Jefferson, Monroe, and
    Washington) to the south.

    An Appalachian Mountain Club hut on the plateau below Madison's summit
    offers three-season accommodations for hikers.

    - bill

    Bill Todd, Nov 12, 2003

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Perls=F8?=

    Hank Oredson Guest

    Darn.
    And all along I thought it was a nice little city in Wisconsin.
    (Obligitory cheesehead joke elided.)

    --

    ... Hank

    Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
    W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

    Hank Oredson, Nov 13, 2003
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Perls=F8?=

    Mike Smith Guest

    I thought the 686/786 codenames came from places in the Pacific
    Northwest (Katmai, Deschutes, Willamette, etc.) When did that change?

    Mike Smith, Nov 13, 2003
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Perls=F8?=

    Alex Johnson Guest

    Those are Oregon projects, AFAIK, so Pacific Northwest names are
    appropriate. Madison is not a 686 or 786 codename, it is an Itanium 2
    codename. Itanium family was done with the help of HP and the names
    came from all over (Merced is in California, McKinley is in Alaska,
    Madison is in New Hampshire [and possibly others...Madison seems like it
    would be a common name], etc). FYI, it appears getting local names was
    getting too difficult. The codenames seem to be all over the world of
    late. They place way too much emphasis (and money) in codenames these
    days. I kind of liked Alpha's way of doing things: EV6, EV68, EV7,
    etc. Not a lot of lawsuits, pronunciation problems, or
    filthy-words-in-other-languages with that type of codename.

    Alex

    Alex Johnson, Nov 13, 2003
  6. It didn't, Madison isn't 686 or 786, or even x86 at all. (Itanium2 on .13 =
    Madison)

    -JB

    James Boswell, Nov 28, 2003