    taken up by the IBM preload... but that is only about 3 or 4G.

    Is there anyway I can verify what the capacity of my hard drive is
    aside from My Computer Properties.

    wooks, Apr 21, 2006

  2. wooks

    Alexander Guest

    I had a similar issue. However I nipped it in the bud before they shipped me
    the drive. I had received a T22 for christmas. Shortly after, the drive
    failed. I called IBM and they were going to ship me out a refurbished 20 gig
    when the machine came from the factory with a 30gig. I questioned it and
    they agreed to send a 30. To answer your question, you need to pull the
    drive out or go into the BIOS and post the numbers listed for the drive.

    Hope this helps,
    Alexander
    www.wgpcgeek.com

    Alexander, Apr 21, 2006

  3. I'm assuming you're running Windows XP:

    Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer
    Management -> Storage -> Disk Management.

    This should show you all the partitions on the disk (even ones Windows
    doesn't recognize) as well as any unallocated space. If the space
    missing is simply unallocated, you can simply format it as NTFS or
    FAT32, if it's formatted for some reason you may want to see what it's
    used for (but Disk Management will let you delete partitions even
    without knowing the type).

    Nicholas Andrade, Apr 21, 2006
  4. wooks

    wooks Guest

    Thank you. It shows 20.81GB as the IBM_PRELOAD ich is what was in My
    Computer Properties and an additional 4.71GB taken up by IBM_SERVICE.
    That totals 25.5GB.

    So I am still short 4.5GB. Is that to be expected?

    wooks, Apr 21, 2006
  5. That still is a bit short; manufacturers typically play the bit game and
    measure gigabytes in 10^9 when to a computer a gigabyte is actually
    2^30. So in your case ((30*2^30)-(30*10^9))/2^30 = ~2GB so your drive
    total should be about 28GB. Now formating takes some extra space too,
    but not 2.5GB worth. You might want to boot to a live linux distro
    (damnsmalllinux.org has an excellent 50MB one) and run fdisk -l which
    should list all partitions and their available space. This version of
    fdisk is much superior to the one Windows ships and should recognize any
    partition out there (as well as any free space). You can use fdisk to
    reallocate any space that's there, but be careful. You might also want
    to pull the drive and verify the model number corresponds with what IBM
    claims they gave you (and check the drive makers web site to be sure
    it's a 30GB model).

    Nicholas Andrade, Apr 21, 2006
  6. I don't think there ever was a 25 gig laptop drive.
    Just take the drive out and look at the label. IBM supplied drives almost
    always list the capacity right on the label,

    Bruce Markowitz, Apr 22, 2006
  7. wooks

    Otis Guest

    Otis, Apr 22, 2006
  8. Nicholas Andrade, Apr 22, 2006
  9. wooks

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    Ever tried a utility called Belarc? Run it and see exactly what hard
    drive you have.

    Tony Hwang, Apr 22, 2006