Whet /Drsytone comaprisons?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Karolus des Reyches197, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. What is the real life significance if an AMD 1100 computer gets around 4000
    Dry stones and a IntelP4 3.0 GHZ gets 9000?

    Karolus des Reyches197, Jan 16, 2004

  2. The Intel P4 3.0GHz rates 5000 Dry Stones greater.

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Jan 16, 2004

  3. Karolus des Reyches197

    Hank Guest

    WRONG!
    OP states the AMD gets "around" 4000 drystones so therefore your answer is
    incorrect. The correct answer would be the Intel P4 3.0GHz rates 5000 Dry
    Stones greater, give or take a few pebbles.

    Hank

    Hank, Jan 16, 2004
  4. Karolus des Reyches197

    Jim Macklin Guest

    The Intel is 125% faster

    message | What is the real life significance if an AMD 1100 computer

    Jim Macklin, Jan 16, 2004
  5. INTEL 3.0 is only 125 % faster than an AMD 1100???

    Do I read that right?

    Karolus des Reyches197, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Intel 3.0 GHZ only 125 % faster than a AMD 1100???

    Karolus des Reyches197, Jan 16, 2004
  7. What is the real life significance if an AMD 1100 computer gets around 4000
    Dry stones and a IntelP4 3.0 GHZ gets 9000?
    Only 125 % faster for the INTEL???

    Karolus des Reyches197, Jan 16, 2004
  8. Karolus des Reyches197

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Maybe I should have said 225% faster.

    message | INTEL 3.0 is only 125 % faster than an AMD 1100???

    | Do I read that right?

    in message
    | | > The Intel is 125% faster

    in
    | > message | > | What is the real life significance if an AMD 1100
    computer
    | > gets around 4000
    | > | Dry stones and a IntelP4 3.0 GHZ gets 9000?
    | > |
    | > |

    Jim Macklin, Jan 16, 2004
  9. Karolus des Reyches197

    Kevin Lawton Guest

    | What is the real life significance if an AMD 1100 computer gets
    | around 4000 Dry stones and a IntelP4 3.0 GHZ gets 9000?

    You'll probably notice that the Expensive new Pentium-IV feels a little
    quicker and smoother in everyday use compared to the old-and-cheap AMD 1100.
    How much of a difference this makes in practise, and how important it is to
    you, depends on what sort of thing you are doing.
    Anything to do with fast graphics, 3D, rendering and that is likely to
    benefit from running on the better machine. If you are just doing a bit of
    e-mails, web surfing and letter-writing, you'll probably find the old AMD
    quite good enough.
    If you are considering what to buy, then an AMD 1100 could hardly
    described as 'future proof' - it is already below what could be considered
    entry level. However, unless you really need to push the limits, the 3 GHz
    Intel could be overkill at the moment - though probably still more than
    adequate for a few years to come.
    I'd suggest you might find the best price/performance comprimise somewhere
    in the <> 2.5 GHz AMD XP chips, coupled with plenty of memory etc.
    Kevin.

    Kevin Lawton, Jan 18, 2004
  10. Thanks a lot for the fine explanation.

    I presently have the AMD 1100, 512 MB SDRAM, two 80 GHZ drives (1 internal,
    1 external) CD reader, CD writer,Cardreader.

    Windows XP, word, OE, and various programs to process digital photos and
    movies (the latter in the very beginning stages).

    I have a Radeon 5000 card (18 months old) and would need to upgrade that
    too.

    Most of my time is spent in

    E-mails
    Newsgroups-computers and computer related
    Stocks and analysis
    Word
    Doing newsletters for voluntary org..
    Excel
    Image photo processing
    and editing, printing of final photos.

    That is not all but quickly comes to my mind.

    NOW, what is it you recommend?

    Thanks in advance

    alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 7:13 PM
    Subject: Re: Whet /Drsytone comaprisons?

    Karolus des Reyches197, Jan 18, 2004
  11. Thanks a lot for the fine explanation.

    Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 7:13 PM

    Karolus des Reyches197, Jan 18, 2004
  12. Karolus des Reyches197

    Jim Macklin Guest

    BTW, 80 GHZ drives???

    Maybe 80 GB drives!

    | > I presently have the AMD 1100, 512 MB SDRAM, two 80 GHZ
    drives (1
    | internal,
    | > 1 external) CD reader, CD writer,Cardreader.
    | >
    | > Windows XP, word, OE, and various programs to process
    digital photos and
    | > movies (the latter in the very beginning stages).
    | >
    | > I have a Radeon 5000 card (18 months old) and would need
    to upgrade that
    | > too.
    | >
    | > Most of my time is spent in
    | >
    | > E-mails
    | > Newsgroups-computers and computer related
    | > Stocks and analysis
    | > Word
    | > Doing newsletters for voluntary org..
    | > Excel
    | > Image photo processing
    | > and editing, printing of final photos.
    | >
    | > That is not all but quickly comes to my mind.
    | >
    | > NOW, what is it you recommend?
    | >

    | For all but the last almost anything would have done.
    Once the photo

    Ralph Mowery, Jan 19, 2004
  14. Right, 80 GB drives of course.

    Karolus des Reyches197, Jan 19, 2004
  15. Karolus des Reyches197

    Kevin Lawton Guest

    | Thanks a lot for the fine explanation.
    |
    | I presently have the AMD 1100, 512 MB SDRAM, two 80 GHZ drives (1
    | internal, 1 external) CD reader, CD writer,Cardreader.
    |
    | Windows XP, word, OE, and various programs to process digital photos
    | and movies (the latter in the very beginning stages).
    |
    | I have a Radeon 5000 card (18 months old) and would need to upgrade
    | that too.
    |
    | Most of my time is spent in
    |
    | E-mails
    | Newsgroups-computers and computer related
    | Stocks and analysis
    | Word
    | Doing newsletters for voluntary org..
    | Excel
    | Image photo processing
    | and editing, printing of final photos.
    |
    | That is not all but quickly comes to my mind.
    |
    | NOW, what is it you recommend?
    |
    | Thanks in advance

    You'll probably find the AMD 1100 fine for most of your Apps except for
    the image processing which is likely to be s--l--o--w.
    I tend to upgrade my main machine to be one step behind 'leading edge' as
    that is where the best value for money comes in.
    Currently, you can get an AMD XP2400 plus a decent suitable m/board
    (Gigabyte, Asus, etc) for less than half it would cost you to go 3 GHz. In
    practise, you won't really notice much difference between them unless you
    spend your whole life benchmark testing. Give it something like 1 Gb of
    PC2700 333 MHz DDR RAM and you'll have a system which can edit photos with
    the best of them. Should be more than adequate for getting started with
    video editing when you want to try that as well.
    Your Radeon 5000 might be far from 'leading edge', but that doesn't mean
    it won't do the job.
    Most of the latest ATI and nVidia graphics cards give you fantastic 3D
    acceleration - but you're not using 3D, so why pay for it ?
    Might be best to see how the Radeon performs in a better system, and find
    out what you need to improve about it.
    If you don't need 3D, then image quality and a choice of outputs might be
    your priorities. My own preference in this case would be to look at the
    Matrox range, as these have some of the finest 2D quality you can get. Nice
    stable drivers, too.
    I notice that you are using Windows XP. This can use a significant of
    system resources - and thus soak up some performance - if you have all the
    bells-and-whistles and eye-candy enabled. Configuring XP to run 'lean and
    mean' without so much of the extras can help performance.
    Kevin.

    Kevin Lawton, Jan 19, 2004
  16. I thank you for the fine feedback. I needed just that. I was leaning first
    to INTEL, then AMD 3000, but reading above I am now almost certain to go to
    AMD 2400, 1 GB of PC 2400 RAM and see how that is with the existing Graphics
    card. You are right. The price drop is tremendous this way. Almost half.

    Thanks

    Karl

    Karolus des Reyches197, Jan 19, 2004
  17. Karolus des Reyches197

    Kevin Lawton Guest

    | I thank you for the fine feedback. I needed just that. I was leaning
    | first to INTEL, then AMD 3000, but reading above I am now almost
    | certain to go to AMD 2400, 1 GB of PC 2400 RAM and see how that is
    | with the existing Graphics card. You are right. The price drop is
    | tremendous this way. Almost half.

    You're welcome.
    Suggest you go for a good quality m/board and the fastest memory it will
    take.
    There is no need to worry about running memory at the same speed as the
    processor FSB on modern m/boards - they can handle the difference without
    introducing wait states.
    Kevin.

    | Thanks
    |
    | Karl
    || |
    || | I presently have the AMD 1100, 512 MB SDRAM, two 80 GHZ drives (1
    || | internal, 1 external) CD reader, CD writer,Cardreader.
    || |
    || | Windows XP, word, OE, and various programs to process digital
    || photos | and movies (the latter in the very beginning stages).
    || |
    || | I have a Radeon 5000 card (18 months old) and would need to
    || upgrade | that too.
    || |
    || | Most of my time is spent in
    || |
    || | E-mails
    || | Newsgroups-computers and computer related
    || | Stocks and analysis
    || | Word
    || | Doing newsletters for voluntary org..
    || | Excel
    || | Image photo processing
    || | and editing, printing of final photos.
    || |
    || | That is not all but quickly comes to my mind.
    || |
    || | NOW, what is it you recommend?
    || |

    Kevin Lawton, Jan 20, 2004
  18. I was thinking about the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB.

    Any better suggestions?

    Karl

    Karolus des Reyches197, Jan 20, 2004
  19. Karolus des Reyches197

    Kevin Lawton Guest

    | I was thinking about the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB.
    |
    | Any better suggestions?

    I haven't used ASUS m/boards so much in the past, but they are well known
    all over for quality (3-year warranty !). The A7N8X seems to have loads of
    very good features and will take up to DDR400 = PC3200 RAM. Their 'Q-fan'
    fan speed control idea seems a good one as well. It looks like it should
    serve you well for the future as well with 8x AGP and serial ATA.
    The nVidia chipset has had plenty of good reviews.
    If you have had good experiences with ASUS in the past, or have had a few
    recommendations, then I'd say 'go for it' - even though I tend to use the
    Gigabyte GA-7VRXP and GA-7VAXP myself.
    Kevin.

    Kevin Lawton, Jan 20, 2004