    PCI Slot 5: -----
    Windows 98 Second Edition (VIA 4.35 4in1)

    Which slot is best to use for the PCI video card?

    Adam, Sep 21, 2005

  2. Hi Adam!

    Slot1 PCI is the first Slot. AGP is the first device on the PCI0 or 1
    Slot.
    So if you use an AGP, you must (don´t have to) leave PCI1 spare.
    Then you can connect PCI to Slot 2 and Slot3. Slot 4 and 5 is probably
    (I don´t know the A7V133 very good, but the VIA´s at this time were
    only terrible, making ISA-PCI-AGP Boards without ISA Slots!?) shared.

    If you use a PCI GfX, I would suggest you to use the first PCI Slot.
    PCI2 - Networkcard
    PCI-3 - USB
    PCI4/5 - Sound

    Probably you will get interreupt-sharings when connecting something to
    Slot 4/5 (there is the Pci to ISA-Bridge, without ISA Slots :)), with
    OnBoard Devices like USB, Sound which are normally connected internally
    to Slot 4/5. But if disabling all onboard features you could get free
    of IRQ-Sharing.
    The same goes with the AGP Slot, if connected together with a PCI Card
    in Slot 1.

    But all at all it would not make much difference. Configuring Windows
    98 for Standard-PC operation is possible, but I don´t know how. A NT
    based System will give you much more access to the Hardware (more
    configurable).
    98 is placing all devices to IRQ9 making Software IRQ....

    etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

    Configuring at this parameters makes a nice, fast and responsible
    system (every device an own IRQ). But as you do, you go well with Win98
    (leaving all possible devices possible), too. 1.3Ghz can compensate it.

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    Daniel Mandic, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that
    PCI Slot 1 is not connected but the opening is
    blocked by the USB Card since the connector is
    near there. Otherwise, I don't think things would have worked.
    I might need to move the network card from PCI Slot 2 to PCI Slot 4.
    Then, shift the USB Card from the PCI Slot 1 opening to the PCI Slot 2 opening.

    Also, I recall that the sound card must be in PCI Slot 3.

    Adam, Sep 21, 2005

  4. The Best Slot for PCI GfX is PCI Slot 1.

    Take 2 for Network
    3 for (probably a hardware busmaster soundbuffered) soundcard!?
    and 4/5 for the USB.

    Should work.

    With AGP. 1 spare. 2 Network. 3 Sound. 4 USB.
    USB will share IRQ with onboard USB - slot4/5=onboard devices. - No
    problem.... Chipset can manage.
    Onboard sound off.

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    P.S.: AGP delivers many features for faster gaming. Especially with D3D
    and OpenGL.

    Daniel Mandic, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Thanks, the PCI GfX is only temporary until
    I get an AGP replacement for the current AGP GfX that
    is slowly choking to death. It's interesting to
    see how a video card dies. It looks almost like
    hardcopies from a printer that is running out of toner. :)

    Adam, Sep 21, 2005
  6. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Also, can the PCI GfX coexist with the AGP GfX?

    Adam, Sep 21, 2005

  7. Not really. Maybe you can set it in BIOS, from which BUS it starts. I
    have never tried......

    With your Board you have a wide choice of working AGP Cards. Although
    the broken AGP Card you mentioned, seems to be repairable. Maybe just a
    bad contact, or a weak solder-point.

    I have my KT133A (ECS Elitegroup K7VZA3.0) with a Palomino1800XP and a
    GeForce4 ti 4200 Ultra (AGP4x, FastWrites and Sideband enabled). But I
    prefer the crystal clear screen output from the Matrox Millenium G450
    on the other Machine.
    So my AMD Machines comes good for playing exotic 3d Games - modern.
    The other is much better in 2D Quality AND Performance and up to
    DirectX 7 the Matrox is the better choice, the Geforce needs DX8 and
    greater, making weird things with older DX5,6 or 7 Games.
    I don´t know how the Hardware behaves on Linux but some attributes
    would be the same.

    Kind Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    P.S.: The AMD needs a second boot, then it works flawlessly :), since
    I have disabled the 2nd IDE Channel. This Bug on the Southbridge should
    go with your MB, too.

    Daniel Mandic, Sep 21, 2005
  8. Adam

    Adam Guest

    There is a BIOS setting ...

    Primary VGA BIOS [PCI Card]
    Configuration options: [PCI Card] [AGP Card]

    But, that doesn't tell me whether both can coexist.

    Not sure if there is a better choice for the money but
    the AGP video card that I I'm thinking of getting is:
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB DDR 256-bit AGP 8x/4x

    Adam, Sep 21, 2005

  9. As you like. I am sure this is a fast beast.

    Good Luck.

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    Daniel Mandic, Sep 21, 2005
  10. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Yep, it works ... and on the first try too! :eek:)

    Daniel, thank you very much for your help.
    My eyes feel much better now ...

    And, yes, the PCI video card and the AGP video card can
    coexist with my A7V133 motherboard.

    Hmmm ... and I'm willing to bet that
    my system will not freeze as much now that
    the Leadtek WinFast GeForce256 DDR video card is retired.

    Adam, Sep 21, 2005

  11. Hi Adam!

    I have found this:
    The card takes up two slots in a PC system. We don't see this as a
    drawback, since on a conventional motherboard you couldn't use the
    first PCI slot beside the AGP slot anyway. There are two DVI-I jacks on
    the slot blah blah...

    describing a nice AGP3.0 Card ;) ....wich needs more place than
    conventional.

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030305/quadrofx-2000-04.html

    Best Regards,

    Daniel Mandic

    Daniel Mandic, Sep 30, 2005
  12. Adam

    Adam Guest

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030305/quadrofx-2000-04.html

    "The card takes up two slots in a PC system. We don't see this as a drawback,
    since on a conventional motherboard you couldn't use the first PCI slot beside
    the AGP slot anyway. There are two DVI-I jacks on the slot cover to ..."

    Good info! I suppose the first PCI slot and the AGP slot are
    mutually exclusive since one or the other is selected via the BIOS in my case.

    Adam, Oct 1, 2005