    Does any one know if the A9 is ok for the non "A" or is there
    something else?

    Thanks

    BF, Feb 4, 2004

  2. BF

    John Guest

    John, Feb 5, 2004

  3. BF

    Phil Guest

    Woah! Be very cautious about this! It is supposed to work on a KT7-RAID
    but all I can say is that I flashed the BIOS on my KT7-RAID from UL to
    A9 and have had nothing but problems ever since! See My threads "BIOS
    problems on KT7-RAID" in this NG and "Display only works in safemode -
    heeeelp" over in alt.windows98 for details. First problem I got was that
    I got a garbled, unreadable display when I booted up after flashing and
    had to format c: and reinstall Windows (98SE) to solve it. Symptoms at
    the mo are that it works ok until you try copying files with 3 or 4
    windows open, or try doing something slightly demanding, then it usually
    freezes. Only way out is to reboot. I'm no expert but after 2 months of
    trying everything I could think of, as well as loads of suggestions from
    other people, I've more or less come to the conclusion that it's due to
    the wrong Highpoint driver embedded in BIOS A9 available on the ABIT
    website (comes with HPT 370 version 1.11.402, unless they've modified it
    since last November) whereas the latest drivers for the Highpoint are
    ver 2.35. AFAIK, they're supposed to match.

    There's another thread in here at the mo from a guy with the same
    problem but on a KT7A-RAID "KT7A freezes when copying files from one
    drive to another" and there've been a few other recent threads about the
    Highpoint drivers. If I was you, I'd buy a BIOS Saviour first, then at
    least you can go back easily if it doesn't work...

    Me, I think I'll buy a BIOS Saviour and then try flashing with one of
    the modified A9's available from www.sudhian.com. If that doesn't work,
    I might just throw the mobo in the bin and buy a non-ABIT one :)

    Phil, Feb 5, 2004
  4. BF

    BF Guest

    Thanks for this info. I am not having any real serious problems just a
    couple annoying things since I went to XP that I thought might be
    corrected with an update. It is not worth the chance until I know
    there is absolutely no problems. I too have the old "UL" bios.

    BF, Feb 5, 2004
  5. BF

    void Guest

    I also flashed my KT7-RAID's BIOS from UL to A9 (although with the Highpoint
    2.34 embedded) recently. My Win98 system was rock solid under the UL BIOS,
    but I flashed it to A9 because I am planning on upgrading to Win2000, and I
    thought that A9 would have some fixes in it for Win2000. Now my Win98 system
    is giving me BSODs a few times a day (which I posted about yesterday). The
    BSODs usually happen when I am clicking on something to launch a program, or
    close a program, or load an MP3, although a few BSODs have happened when I
    haven't been doing anything. The system has also just locked up a few times.
    I've also tried deleting directories that contain a fair amount of files in
    Windows Explorer, and have gotten the "system is low on resources" error
    message, which never happened before. And if I don't get the "system is low
    on resources" error when I try to delete a directory, then Windows Explorer
    stops responding, and I have to kill it, which ends up killing half my
    programs in the system tray, including my firewall and virus scanner, so I
    have to reboot.

    I was going to go ahead and install Win2000 anyways, and just hope that the
    problems that I am now having in Win98 don't show up in Win2000. But I've
    heard a weird noise come out of my computer twice in the last few days...
    like a squealing noise that's lasted for almost a second. I am concerned my
    hard drive might be dying (as both times the noise has occurred while saving a
    file), so this may not be the best time to install a new OS.

    Well, now you know what might happen if you try the A9 BIOS that has the
    Highpoint 2.34 BIOS embedded!

    void, Feb 5, 2004
  6. BF

    Phil Guest

    Not seen many BSOD's at all since I flashed mine, just lockups and the
    odd garbled display. Funny how the problem shows itself in different
    ways..
    Doesn't sound good - U sure it's not just your fan needing a bit of a
    clean?
    Bugger! Looks like I'll have to start reading up on those A***S or
    G***B**E motherboards! Just found something else to try tho - did a
    Google NG search on "BIOS flash kt7 raid HPT A9 drivers" and found a
    couple of old threads on this. Both say install the Highpoint drivers
    first, then flash the BIOS. Did you do it this way round? I know I
    didn't! :) Before I try it, definitely gonna get a BIOS Saviour!

    Phil, Feb 5, 2004
  7. BF

    void Guest

    I'm not 100% positive it is my hard drive. However, both times the noise
    occurred at the end of a download. Also, I have an IBM Deskstar 75GXP hard
    drive, which I just found out has an extremely high failure rate.

    No, I flashed the BIOS, and then installed the Highpoint drivers. I looked at
    one of those threads, and the guy was saying that you should install the
    Highpoint drivers before flashing in order to avoid compatibility problems
    when you boot up after the flash. Well, I didn't run into any problems
    between the time that I flashed the BIOS and the time that I installed the
    Highpoint drivers.

    void, Feb 5, 2004
  8. BF

    GlassVial Guest

    Doesn't sound good - U sure it's not just your fan needing a bit of a
    Eew...very bad. I'd get all your data off of it now while you still
    can. I've read tons of horror stories about those drives.
    I don't think that makes a difference, I mean, what if you had to do a
    reload? You'd have no choice. Just wondeirng if anyone's tried the
    2.35 bios/driver combo, that's what I'm running and it works fine.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Feb 6, 2004
  9. BF

    void Guest

    Yeah, I'm surprised my drive has lasted for over 3 years now. And I never
    made a backup until a couple of days ago (not because I found out about the
    Deskstar's high failure rate--that happened yesterday, but because I was
    planning on upgrading to Win2k!)

    Today I ordered a new hard drive, and it should arrive next week.

    Is there any place that has the A9 BIOS with the Highpoint 2.35 or 2.351 BIOS
    embedded? On the KT7 faq page, it only has the Highpoint 2.34 embedded.

    void, Feb 6, 2004
  10. BF

    erik© Guest

    erik©, Feb 6, 2004
  11. BF

    void Guest

    Alright I updated my system to the latest video drivers last night, and I have
    not yet experienced any BSODs or other lock-ups. <knock on wood>

    I'll wait until I receive my new hard drive next week before declaring that my
    problems are solved, though. I'll let you know in a few days. Oh yeah, I'm
    also going to update my video card's BIOS tonight.

    void, Feb 7, 2004
  12. BF

    void Guest

    OK, I just tried closing QuickTime from my system tray, and I got a BSOD. :-(
    So those latest video drivers didn't help. I'm still going to update my video
    card's BIOS now, but I really don't think that will solve the problem.

    void, Feb 7, 2004
  13. BF

    void Guest

    Oh hey, what version of the VIA 4-in-1 drivers are you using? I'm using 4.38,
    which is not the latest version. I wonder if that could be the cause of my
    problems. The reason that I am using 4.38 is because I saw an old post from
    someone who said that his system was instable if he tried to use anything
    later than 4.38. He also said that Abit said on their website that they do
    not recommend using anything later than 4.38. Of course I found nothing on
    Abit's website that said that. I'm going to have to investigate this further.

    void, Feb 7, 2004
  14. BF

    void Guest

    Hmm, a bunch of people here say that for Win98, you shouldn't use higher than
    4.38:

    http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=45142&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

    void, Feb 7, 2004
  15. BF

    GlassVial Guest

    I'll wait until I receive my new hard drive next week before declaring that my
    If you have a video card BIOS update, do it. Latest video card
    drivers don't hurt either (you didn't mention what video card you
    had?) Also did I already mention the via latency patch? And the
    latest 4-in-1 drivers is what I run without a problem, but I run
    Windows 2000 or XP.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Feb 7, 2004
  16. BF

    void Guest

    Hmm, weird. I updated my Matrox G400's BIOS a few nights ago, and I haven't
    really had any problems since. It's strange because when I ran the Matrox
    BIOS updater program, it only let me select some sort of DOS feature, so I
    didn't think the new BIOS had any fixes or enhancements for Windows. So maybe
    it's just a coincidence that I haven't had any BSOD's the last few days. Who
    knows, tomorrow I'm ridding myself of Windows 98 and installing Windows 2000.

    void, Feb 11, 2004
  17. BF

    GlassVial Guest

    didn't think the new BIOS had any fixes or enhancements for Windows. So maybe
    That's never a bad thing ;)

    -GV

    GlassVial, Feb 11, 2004