Which card to buy for kids computer?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Ray Porier, Jun 29, 2005.

  1. Ray Porier

    Ray Porier Guest

    I am currently in the process of purchasing the components to upgrade
    my kids (4 amd 7 years old) computer. I am going to put together a P4
    3.2Ghz Slot T Mboard w/PCI E. I am currently contemplating what
    graphic card to get. I don't want to get more card than they really
    need right now, and plan to upgrade it when they start getting into
    games that demand it.

    I was looking at the X700 but I am thinking that it might be more card
    than they need right now. The kids aren't into graphic intensive
    games yet. They are into Petz 5, and other age appropriate games at
    the time which don't seem to put a strain on the computer.

    Right now I am considering the X600 thinking that it might be enough
    card for them right now and quite a bit cheaper than the X700. I
    don't think they will get into any games that tax the graphic card for
    at least a couple of years, of which then I will upgrade the card to a
    more powerful one.

    Any advice from you graphics card people would be greatly appreciated.

    Ray Porier, Jun 29, 2005

  2. Ray Porier

    Bratboy Guest

    Whats your timeframe? If you can wait till the 520's hit then you will
    probably see card prices drop some. Even tho they don't go heavy into
    graphic games right now a slightly better card will mean longer before you
    need to upgrade again.

    Bratboy, Jun 29, 2005

  3. Ray Porier

    Ray Porier Guest

    Actually I am looking to start this project in the next week or two.

    Ray Porier, Jun 29, 2005
  4. Have you checked out newegg.com? They have both x600 and x700 (non-ATI)
    cards and the prices really don't seem to be very different. I agree that
    you shouldn't go overboard with a card for a kids computer but you also
    shouldn't buy anything underpowered because you'll just be throwing your
    money away. I would go with the x600 at a minimum and the x700 if I could
    get a good value.

    Richard

    Richard Forester, Jun 30, 2005