    with this board. I'm going with the Athlon 64 but which one? Which
    speed? Asus' website doesn't tell me.
    Thanks!

    Edward, Nov 26, 2006

  2. Edward

    lasr Guest

    lasr, Nov 26, 2006

  3. Edward

    Paul Guest

    It appears to take a lot of the S754 processors.

    http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusuppo...spx?type=1&name=K8U-X&SLanguage=en-us&cache=1

    This is the S754 list on Newegg. A pretty short list.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...38&Subcategory=&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

    This one looks nice - AMD Athlon64 3000+ Venice 2.0GHz 512KB L2 S754 $60
    Since it is OEM, you'll need to buy a separate heatsink/fan.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103605

    A heatsink for $7

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103167

    There is a pad on the bottom of the heatsink, but as you may
    be taking it apart some day, you might also want to pick up some
    paste. Pads get scratched up easily.

    A tube of Ceramique $5
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100009

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 26, 2006
  4. Edward

    Venom Guest

    Just buy what you can afford but bigger is better.
    Only buy the boxed version of an AMD CPU as it comes with a three year
    warranty. The OEM version doesn't.

    Venom, Nov 29, 2006