    Please clarify my doubt
    Thanks in advance
    Prasi

    prasi, Nov 30, 2005

  2. prasi

    Thad Smith Guest

    That sounds correct.
    The master/slave allocation is a low-level communication synchronization
    concept. It says nothing about which end requests data. You may have
    one master and several slave units.

    Either master or slave may make a request of the other unit, depending
    on how the system is designed. The client/server model is better suited
    for independently running clients. A realtime system is usually more
    coordinated and doesn't fit the client/server model as well, especially
    with cental control.

    Thad Smith, Nov 30, 2005

  3. RTU stands for "remote terminal unit". It's generally a slave
    device that provides I/O points for use by the master.
    Exactly.

    The RTU (the remote I/O device) is the slave. In TCP terms,
    it's probably the server. The control system that reads/writes
    data to/from the RTU is the master (the client in TCP terms).

    Grant Edwards, Nov 30, 2005
  4. That's not true in older Modbus (non TCP) systems.
    Traditionally, Modbus is a single master bus. Only the master
    my make a request.

    Is Modbus TCP multi-master, or has the master-slave thing been
    thrown out completely, and it's all peer-to-peer where any device
    can send a request to any other device? In that case, all
    devices are both clients and servers in TCP terminology.

    Grant Edwards, Nov 30, 2005